PDA

View Full Version : sharan weird steering wobble

andy1020
03-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi folks,
got a weird one that me & my mechanic can't find the cause of...!

When accelerating (specially under load, eg uphill) the steering wobbles, a bit like very bad wheel alignment. Notice it most going up through about 20mph.

Doesn't happen when rolling down hill to go up through this speed, only when engine is accelerating it, so that rules out a few things maybe.

Last year it started small when accelerating, happened at a few speeds eg: up through 40mph, then got worse until we had to stop on M6 as steering was shaking so bad. It was huge wobble as if a wheel brearing had collapsed and wheel was about to fall off! Got home and mechanic fitted new drive shaft and it was much better. Couldn't find anything else wrong.

Wobble never totally went away though. Seems to be getting worse recently and now towing a caravan so want to see if we can get t sorted...!

Have tried:

swapping front & rear wheels
new tyres
wheel alignment and balancing (several times)
3 new driveshafts in last year and a half! (think this problem could be causing them to wear more quickly)
Anyone had this kind of thing? I've heard of g/box and dual mass flywheel probs causing things like this...?
cheers
Andy.

andy1020
20-04-2010, 04:03 PM
ok, for sake of others who have this problem. i've now seen it in the forum before without being solved...

Driveshafts were getting worn and the wobble got better when they were replaced.

In the end the real problem was the g/box. (6 speed manual box) Play in the splined input unit in the gearbox where the shafts enter the box. Maybe play in the diff bearings as well.

recon gearbox and wobble has gone...

took 6 months to diagnose and fix so worth posting for others who have the same...