PDA

View Full Version : Idle speed

GJR
26-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Hi All

I now have my 2005 A4 2.0 TDi and am very impressed. I have just come over from a 2002 320D BMW and much prefer the Audi.
Just a couple of issues that I guess will be covered by my warranty as purchased from Audi main dealer, but would welcome any views:

I have the auto lights, when in Auto mode the switch illumination flicks on and off, no issues with the actual lights themselves. I guess this is a faulty light switch ?
Idle speed seems high at about 900 to 950, I am used to about 800 on the BM, is this normal ?

The car rocks when revved gently at standstill - I guess it has soft engine mounts to take some of the vibration out ?

Thanks

weepiglet
05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi there GJR, I am in the same boat as you. I've just bought a July 05 2.0 TDi Avant (140) and am very impressed with it so far although I too have noticed the engine ticking over at 950rpm at idle which seems high and also when you move off it shudders.

I used to have a BMW 120d SE and never found this with it so was hoping someone can put my mind at ease.

Thanks.

GJR
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
HI Weepiglet

It feels forever ago that I posted this but I still have the car so here we go:

Absolutely love the car still - 7 months and 12K+ miles down the line.
The idle has been checked and garage said'within spec - can be 800 to 1000. Still seems high to me but as you live with it more the worry goes !

The lightswitch - replaced under warranty as it was faulty.

Engine rocking - still does it and apparently a characterisitic of the engine mounts used to reduce vibration when driving.

Clutch judder - although not in my original post I did have this. It got worse as the days became damper through the autumn. Booked it in under warranty and told that a new clutch plate is called up under a modification and covered by warranty. They did ask if I also wanted to pay for a new pressure plate and release bearing whilst apart for the free of charge plate - although it went against my better judgement I said no - if Audi did not feel it needed replacing as part of the modification why should I pay. All done and no more judder !!
Looks like yours is still in warranty so get it in quick for the clutch plate (check they will cover it first). As the weather improves the judder will reduce until next Winter when your warranty would have expired (the problem is to do with the characterisitcs of the clutch plate when it gets damp over night)

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on