PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt 02 19tdi passat

aliens
02-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Hi. Can anyone point the way to a belt configuration pic?

Thanks all.

snapdragon
03-04-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/PASY/2001/226/49/2836768/

Is this any good? You have to register to see it, but it's free..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2718/4486370694_06dc23af19_o.jpg I think you can see where they go with the dotted lines.

aliens
03-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Thanks snapdraggon...very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has a pic of all the ancillary belts configuration also. (I found a cracking pic of one but it was V engine from the States...not much good):(

Just like to point out that my belt was changed 3k miles ago but the water pump is now suspect. Is it possible to change the pump without all the hassle of timing etc?

My symptoms are: Overheating when engine is under load. Not losing water. When temp rises bubbling noises from heater matrix. Top and bottom hoses cold even when temp is in the highs. The expansion water is also cold when the temp is high.

Have been told that if the matrix has an air lock there will be no circulation and this could be the prob? Does anyone know which matrix pipe has the little hole that becomes visible when pulling back the hose in order to vent the matrix?

Soz for all the questions but it seems that this is the site that delivers. Thanks.

caldirun
03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks snapdraggon...very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has a pic of all the ancillary belts configuration also. (I found a cracking pic of one but it was V engine from the States...not much good):(

Just like to point out that my belt was changed 3k miles ago but the water pump is now suspect. Is it possible to change the pump without all the hassle of timing etc?

My symptoms are: Overheating when engine is under load. Not losing water. When temp rises bubbling noises from heater matrix. Top and bottom hoses cold even when temp is in the highs. The expansion water is also cold when the temp is high.

Have been told that if the matrix has an air lock there will be no circulation and this could be the prob? Does anyone know which matrix pipe has the little hole that becomes visible when pulling back the hose in order to vent the matrix?

Soz for all the questions but it seems that this is the site that delivers. Thanks.
Change the water pump, if you buy the tools off Ebay or a factors they are not expensive and the procedure is simple, if the pump fails you could be searching for a new engine!

snapdragon
03-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks snapdraggon...very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has a pic of all the ancillary belts configuration also. (I found a cracking pic of one but it was V engine from the States...not much good)

Yes, but the software (Elsa) asks for a fair few vehicle details when you select a vehicle, what is the year and engine code of you car? I guess any old answers will suffice for the other questions as they are not engine related.

aliens
03-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Looking back at my reply to you It may have seemed a a little sarcastic?

"Thanks snapdraggon...very helpful".

I assure you it wasn't...you did rather better than me at the link you supplied and does looks like my setup....so when I said "helpful" i was sincere. I hope you weren't offended...if so I apologise.

Year:02

Eng code: AWX

Thanks.

martin1810
03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Changing the waterpump is the same job as changing the cam belt, that's why so many people reccomend changing the pump when the belt is done.

snapdragon
03-04-2010, 05:55 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4487270042_4e903a1b7b_o.jpg
V belts

Don't worry, I didn't even think you were being remotely sarcastic :beerchug:

snapdragon
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Attached

macquatic
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Excellent info snapdragon.
Do you have a pdf doc for changing the timing belt?

zollaf
03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
does you heater blow hot air, if not i suspect the pump, but if it does, with the other symptoms, it could be just the thermostat.

aliens
04-04-2010, 01:48 AM
does you heater blow hot air, if not i suspect the pump, but if it does, with the other symptoms, it could be just the thermostat.

Yes...it blows hot for about 10secs then goes cold. Thermostat changed last week.

I'm beginning to suspect it is the pump. I just didn't want to go to all the trouble of ripping the front end off just to change the pump. What has to be done has to be done I spose..:(

Thanks, and thanks to Snapdragon for top info.

aliens
04-04-2010, 08:26 PM
All sorted now. Fiddly but a lot easier than I anticipated.

Thanks to all that contributed on here.:beerchug:

Note: Never buy the pump with the plastic rotor...what a load of rubbish they are.

snapdragon
04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Sorry yes, I had the PDF but it is too big to attach and I had to go out sorry. I hope this works...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1273965/3.pdf

djmx5
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
[Note: Never buy the pump with the plastic rotor...what a load of rubbish they are].

Aliens, which pump do you recomend and subsequently fit, I'm having mine changed with the cambelt after the holidays. Was going to insist on genuine VAG product but not sure whether this has the plastic bit

Ta

aliens
04-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Have PM'd you.

The one I removed was fitted by VW dealership....plastic:aargh4:

macquatic
04-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Sorry yes, I had the PDF but it is too big to attach and I had to go out sorry. I hope this works...

It works and thank you. I've saved it, won't need it for another 20,000 miles!