PDA

View Full Version : Which sound sytem?

1.8tgav
31-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Hi all, how do I figure out which sound system i have in my '99 A3? It has a subwoofer in the boot and the concert head unit. I only ask because I'm thinking of replacing the head unit for an aftermarket one (so i can plug my ipod in) and the amount of options for autoleads adaptor harnesses is baffling! Cheers :beerchug:

McDarnit
01-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Not sure how to ID it but why not get an aux cable kit - plugs into the back and takes the place of the cd multichanger.
Not quite as snazzy as an aftermarket unit but cheaper!
(I have one - I'm a cheapskate!)

1.8tgav
02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Mc, yeah I bought one of those cables but when plugged in the head unit doesn't recognise anything is there. It just says CD LOAD on the display :confused: Without sounding like a div it is the 8 pin blue plug connector that you're referring to?

McDarnit
02-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I'd have to pop my head unit out and have a look, can't do it til later as car is away for a new exhaust but as soon as I get it back I'll have a look.

1.8tgav
02-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Cheers pal :beerchug:

McDarnit
02-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, got my car back and had a look.
The aux kit in mine is plugged into the top connector of the bank of 3 connectors, the aux input cable comes off a box (part of the aux adaptor kit) which I guess makes the headunit think there is a cd changer fitted.

Does your aux kit sound like that description?

1.8tgav
02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
It does! But when I plugged it in the header didn't recognise it. Tomorrow I have to fit some brake pads but I'll try the aux lead again afterwards. Cheers McDarnit for your input bud, I'll let you know how it goes :biggthump

1.8tgav
03-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Aah having reread your post (sober) my kit is different to yours as in i only have a cable with the blue connector and 3.5mm jack, no box. Cheapo off evilbay. where'd you get yours m8 and how much? Still, got new brakes

McDarnit
03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Mine was also from Ebay, £40 when I got it years ago - the seller is no longer registered so can't help there.
Had a search and there are similar kits on there but all say 2006> for A3 so you'd probably have to ask the seller about compatibility - down side is the prices, seem to have increased!

1.8tgav
03-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Hey man,just ordered one of those connects 2 jobbies. Hopefully will sort me out. I really appreciate your time and input bro, many thanks :beerchug: