PDA

View Full Version : Question Do Android phones work with HDD MMI Bluetooth

Geordie Amanda
31-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Not sure if this is the best forum for this question. I am out of contract with my mobile and looking to change to either the HTC Desire or if I have to, the Iphone 3GS. I would rather people didn’t give me lots of phone options as I have looked pretty carefully into what I need and what is available on Orange (I hate Blackberries).

However, having looked at compatible phones, I see the iphone looks good (and a salesman told me it is a great phone for pairing with an A4) but there are no android phones that I can see, listed. Does anyone know of Android phones being capable of a decent pairing? I have ordered an S Line with HDD MMI.

Thanks in advance

Ardy
31-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Dont know much about the pairing of any other models of phone but what i will say on this subject is - get an iphone.

I have had all kinds of phones including blackberry (terrible imo) and was always dead against iphone as coming from a windows background i did not want to give in. Then over the last few years i have been forced to work with them for clients (on exchange, home pc's etc) and have finally given in myself a few months back. So been using the 3gs for a few months and it is awsome - so easy and intuitive i wish i had got on the wagon earlier!

No other device is as easy to use as far as typing and browsing goes. Txting and navigation all just make sense on the iphone and i wonder why all phones are not like this!

So yeah with a view from the car angle i dont know, but as a mobile phone/browser/ipod etc etc etc the iphone rules in my opinion.

Ill have my A4 in a couple of months and dont forsee any compatability issues.

Other folk may have differing opinions but as someone on the move all the time with multiple email address's and alot of time spent on the phone thats my opinion.

And of course the immense amount of apps

Geordie Amanda
31-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Dont know much about the pairing of any other models of phone but what i will say on this subject is - get an iphone.

I have had all kinds of phones including blackberry (terrible imo) and was always dead against iphone as coming from a windows background i did not want to give in. Then over the last few years i have been forced to work with them for clients (on exchange, home pc's etc) and have finally given in myself a few months back. So been using the 3gs for a few months and it is awsome - so easy and intuitive i wish i had got on the wagon earlier!

No other device is as easy to use as far as typing and browsing goes. Txting and navigation all just make sense on the iphone and i wonder why all phones are not like this!

So yeah with a view from the car angle i dont know, but as a mobile phone/browser/ipod etc etc etc the iphone rules in my opinion.

Ill have my A4 in a couple of months and dont forsee any compatability issues.

Other folk may have differing opinions but as someone on the move all the time with multiple email address's and alot of time spent on the phone thats my opinion.

And of course the immense amount of apps

Thanks Ardy. I have had Windows phones for several years and I do like them, especially the syncing with Outlook. I realise that the iphone will also sync through iTunes and having just started a Gmail account I guess I can import my contact list through that as well (I don’t know if the iphone would support multiple syncing though, ie with my laptop and the Google calendar? What’s the battery life like if you just use the phone for calls and emails, say a couple of hours a day max (not playing games or watching vids etc) would you get 2 days use out of it? I have found a few supplementary batteries that I could add, Juice doing a 1400 or 1800 ma/h one.

Ardy
31-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah i reckon you could get 2 days in that situation - but like you say there are extra life options, little block you can get for about 30 quid i think gives it 2 full charges or a large battery addon case thing. I just charge mine in the car then no worries.

The combination of gmail and iphone is very easy to use and setup/sync which is rather nice.

check this out - just scanned over and looks like this may answer the duel sync question..

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10290509-68.html

Hmm hope that makes sense and its not horribly wrong:p

I also thought i liked windows based phones - until i got an iphone - it sucks and i really dont like to admit it but they do seem to the best job most reliably and sensibly, only thing you cant do is view flash images as far as i know.

Geordie Amanda
31-03-2010, 04:40 PM
My plan would be to do a final sync with my old windows phone on my PC and then export my contacts to Gmail (the outlook calendar is already set up to sync with Gmail to and from my PC). I think I would then be able to sync a new empty phone with the Gmail calendar both ways (?) and import the contacts at the same time via mobile me or similar. Then I guess all my calendars would stay in sync and I would still be able to sync contacts between PC and phone via iTunes (it might be better to do this via iTunes to begin with and use the hardwire to sync contacts with iPhone on a regular basis), leaving the calendar to sync via Gmail. I hope that makes sense and more importantly…..works!

So having confused myself, would it be best to sync contacts from Outlook to iPhone via iTunes and then set up the iPhone to stay in sync with the calendar on Gmail, thus indirectly syncing it with my Outlook calendar?

Ardy
31-03-2010, 05:28 PM
That sounds about right to me :o

Like i say i didnt read that link in detail but sounds like whichever way you want to do it is possible, just a case of back everything up first then mess around.

Quote from that site - using google calander sync..

"options: sync from and to Google Calendar and Outlook; sync from Google Calendar to Outlook; or sync from Outlook to Google Calendar"

I think from what your saying my preferred option would be to -- use gmail & outlook as usual, get them syncing together (weather you want 2 way or not up too you) then just update the iphone via gmail always. (which will cover contacts and cal, i didnt need to use mobile me - just sucks em straight off gmail contacts as soon as you sync your account.) So aye, sync contacts/cal from outlook with gmail sync tool, then just update from there always - shouldnt miss anything and only needs to sync with one program for everything.

I hope that makes sense & helps.

Geordie Amanda
31-03-2010, 05:33 PM
That sounds about right to me :o

Like i say i didnt read that link in detail but sounds like whichever way you want to do it is possible, just a case of back everything up first then mess around.

Quote from that site - using google calander sync..

"options: sync from and to Google Calendar and Outlook; sync from Google Calendar to Outlook; or sync from Outlook to Google Calendar"

I think from what your saying my preferred option would be to -- use gmail & outlook as usual, get them syncing together (weather you want 2 way or not up too you) then just update the iphone via gmail always. (which will cover contacts and cal, i didnt need to use mobile me - just sucks em straight off gmail contacts as soon as you sync your account.) So aye, sync contacts/cal from outlook with gmail sync tool, then just update from there always - shouldnt miss anything and only needs to sync with one program for everything.

I hope that makes sense & helps.

It makes sense thanks. The only issue I have is Gmail won’t auto sync with my Outlook Contacts on my PC and I have to delete and re-import if I want it to stay up to date.

Hippogriff
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
However, having looked at compatible phones, I see the iphone looks good (and a salesman told me it is a great phone for pairing with an A4)

This is likely true. Audi and Apple have a big love-in; as proven with the AMI. But, then, aren't we really just talking Bluetooth at the end of the day? You're not worried about A2DP or something more 'complex', are you? Don't think that A2DP works with any phone... car's fault though.

Geordie Amanda
01-04-2010, 05:51 PM
[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is likely true. Audi and Apple have a big love-in; as proven with the AMI. But, then, aren't we really just talking Bluetooth at the end of the day? You're not worried about A2DP or something more 'complex', are you? Don't think that A2DP works with any phone... car's fault though.

Neither me or my salesman, could get my Windows 6.1 phone to sync with the B8 :(

The Polisher
01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I've got an HTC, pairs up with my A4 perfectly everytime. All the phone book menus work, although they do take about 5 mins to load up.

Geordie Amanda
01-04-2010, 08:33 PM
I've got an HTC, pairs up with my A4 perfectly everytime. All the phone book menus work, although they do take about 5 mins to load up.

I waited 5 mins+ but my TyTn II didn’t seem to load :( Mind you I have well over 500 contacts. The salesman did say he didn’t think it would work, but perhaps he was impatient.

jujitsuka
02-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I bought a new HTC Desire yesterday to go with my week old A4 170 S-line Avant. Bluetooth works 100%.

I got a surprise when I played music on the phone and it came through the car speakers! :biglaugh:

Hippogriff
02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I got a surprise when I played music on the phone and it came through the car speakers! :biglaugh:

Now that is very interesting... is that over Bluetooth - you've not connected it via a wire or something? I wasn't aware that was possible (this is A2DP, isn't it?) and I thought the reason was the car, not the different phones.

Does that also mean the ringtone that you have chosen (if something like an MP3 file) comes through the car speakers when you receive a call while paired, instead of the default "ring-ring"?

Geordie Amanda
02-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I bought a new HTC Desire yesterday to go with my week old A4 170 S-line Avant. Bluetooth works 100%.

Veeeeery interesting. I have to second Hippogriff’s question though. Is that a cradle fitment that you use, or Bluetooth? A salesman told me that the cradle connection provided a better pairing for the phone menus. Not sure how true this is though.

jujitsuka
02-04-2010, 07:03 PM
When I ordered the car, I got Dundee Audi to install (basic) Bluetooth and Cruise Control. I did not get AMI or Sat Nav. The new in-stock car already had Rear Parking sensors. On the first day I paired the car with my old HTC Diamond (running WM 6.5) and managed to get the contacts sync'ed.

Got the HTC Desire yesterday and paired the phone without any problems. Looking the Desire's PDF manual, it says "Bluetooth 2.1 with FTP/OPP for file transfer, A2DP for wireless stereo headsets, and PBAP for phonebook access from the car kit". Whilst playing with it last night, I went to the media player and played one of the sample songs... And it came through the car speakers! It was not connected via an AUX cable. I have not tried to control the playing of the music via the car - doubt very much that is possible.

I've ordered a car charger (for the micro usb socket) and a simple phone cradle that mounts on the vents via ebay for around £13. I also got CoPilot via the android marketplace for £29. So that's the Sat Nav sorted. Cheaper than paying 1,500 quid for the built-in Audi one that everyone on this forum says is out of date and a bit dodgy. :beerchug:

Geordie Amanda
02-04-2010, 07:07 PM
When I ordered the car, I got Dundee Audi to install (basic) Bluetooth and Cruise Control. I did not get AMI or Sat Nav. The new in-stock car already had Rear Parking sensors. On the first day I paired the car with my old HTC Diamond (running WM 6.5) and managed to get the contacts sync'ed.

Got the HTC Desire yesterday and paired the phone without any problems. Looking the Desire's PDF manual, it says "Bluetooth 2.1 with FTP/OPP for file transfer, A2DP for wireless stereo headsets, and PBAP for phonebook access from the car kit". Whilst playing with it last night, I went to the media player and played one of the sample songs... And it came through the car speakers! It was not connected via an AUX cable. I have not tried to control the playing of the music via the car - doubt very much that is possible.

I've ordered a car charger (for the micro usb socket) and a simple phone cradle that mounts on the vents via ebay for around £13. I also got CoPilot via the android marketplace for £29. So that's the Sat Nav sorted. Cheaper than paying 1,500 quid for the built-in Audi one that everyone on this forum says is out of date and a bit dodgy. :beerchug:

Really interesting news. I have ordered an S Line, which comes with basic Bluetooth as standard (I assume this is the same as yours) and the MMI. The music would be a nice touch, but for me important thing is would the phone pair fully and by the looks of your post, it will :)

Thanks for the great info

Hippogriff
02-04-2010, 07:08 PM
The A2DP functionality is something I'm interested in - plenty of phones have it (including my crappy Blackberry - but I thought the car definitely did not - though it was said to be a 'promised' feature with a future update.

If you've not tried this yet...

...I don't suppose you could set your new phone's ringtone to be some kind of MP3 music file and then see if you get "ring-ring" through the speakers when the phone is paired to the car, or whether you get your cool MP3 music track as the ringtone in the car?

jujitsuka
02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
The A2DP functionality is something I'm interested in - plenty of phones have it (including my crappy Blackberry - but I thought the car definitely did not - though it was said to be a 'promised' feature with a future update.

If you've not tried this yet...

...I don't suppose you could set your new phone's ringtone to be some kind of MP3 music file and then see if you get "ring-ring" through the speakers when the phone is paired to the car, or whether you get your cool MP3 music track as the ringtone in the car?

Hippogriff - I just checked the car... I changed the default ringtone to another in the list - don't know how to set a mp3 yet ;) Rang myself and the ringtone did not come through, just the standard one from the car.

The list of contacts in the car was interesting - all my contacts on the phone came through and it had icons for work, home, mobile etc against each number. I had classified them that way in Outlook 2007 and obviously ActiveSync brought them through from the Exchange server. Did not know the car's bluetooth could do that.

One other point, I was in Media (in the car) at the time, cause I was testing the Kingston 16gb SD card I got. I doubt playing bluetooth music whilst in Radio will work. The SD card works a treat by the way (approx £20) and I also got a Kingston 16gb microSD for the Desire (approx £30). Plenty of storage for podcasts/audio books/music now.:D

Hippogriff
02-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for trying that.

I am eager to know when / if my car will get A2DP functionality.

I think if I don't have it now, then I probably won't get it... because I'm sure Audi are now fully concentrating on newer platforms than MMI 3G, which was a bit of a white elephant (for me).

Geordie Amanda
11-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Tried to play from my HTC Desire to my new A4 and it didn’t work. Subsequently I reread this thread and realise the FTP wasn’t switched on. Will try again tomorrow, but I don’t know where the A2DP activation comes from. Oh well, one thing at a time, at least my phone syncs perfectly with the car.

ThePiombino
12-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Neither me or my salesman, could get my Windows 6.1 phone to sync with the B8 :(

A lot of phones have this problem. A trick I have picked up is to clear the incoming/outgoing call log(s) and then attempt to resync. You may also want to reset the BT connection via the MMI.

Geordie Amanda
12-06-2010, 10:35 PM
A lot of phones have this problem. A trick I have picked up is to clear the incoming/outgoing call log(s) and then attempt to resync. You may also want to reset the BT connection via the MMI.

Thanks, but as you can see in my above post, I have moved over to the darkside of Android. Works flawlessly so far :)

jujitsuka
16-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks, but as you can see in my above post, I have moved over to the darkside of Android. Works flawlessly so far :)

Let me know if you need help - HTC Desire and the A4 work well together :biglaugh:

A4 Theresa
28-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Hi All,

I currently have a Blackberry and really love the Xperia X10, but no shop will let me take one just to chack it pairs with the Car(Understandable really) but my question is has anyone got the X10 and does it pair with the Bluetooth Phone Prep. We have A4 Cab on 57 plate. I need a phone with a large screen but dont want to pay stupid Iphone charges per month. Thanks in advance

FOR INFO just tried the X10 and it pairs a treat with the phone book etc, not sure if it has any dodgy connection probs will update later when I get the phone.

k6rff
31-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Had the 3G and 3GS and now have the 4. All absolutely excellent on the Audi. I've got the AMI now and use the iPhone in a Brodit holder. It slips in as I get into the car and bluetooths straight to the hands free. The holder is a straight through socket which has an extended iphone lead connected to the AMI and discretely hidden. I run TomTom (which is really good on the 4) and all commands come through the car speakers, softening the music as required as commands are spoken. I find the £50 TomTom app many times better than the Audi nav, (in my humble opinion), which is a little more expensive.

I was a dyed in the wool HTC user until I noticed the iPhone that I bought my sun was significantly better thann any of my phones. Hate to say it but Apple have it by a country mile.

Regards

pwalton72
04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Not sure if this is the best forum for this question. I am out of contract with my mobile and looking to change to either the HTC Desire or if I have to, the Iphone 3GS. I would rather people didn’t give me lots of phone options as I have looked pretty carefully into what I need and what is available on Orange (I hate Blackberries).

However, having looked at compatible phones, I see the iphone looks good (and a salesman told me it is a great phone for pairing with an A4) but there are no android phones that I can see, listed. Does anyone know of Android phones being capable of a decent pairing? I have ordered an S Line with HDD MMI.

Thanks in advance

I have my HTC Desire HD syncing with my new Audi A6 Sline spec edition. Hi Tech pack on my car. No problems at all. Would like to buy a cradle now though so it will charge my phone etc....

theskyfox
04-04-2011, 02:10 PM
I'll let you know by the end of next week. Im getting my car this week..and my Sony X10 Xperia Android phone will be synced with it asap.

-Andrew

Geordie Amanda
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
I have my HTC Desire HD syncing with my new Audi A6 Sline spec edition. Hi Tech pack on my car. No problems at all. Would like to buy a cradle now though so it will charge my phone etc....
Getting my service next week, so I will ask them to check it

SunnyBard
04-04-2011, 11:39 PM
HTC Desire and the A4 work well together

Nexus One also works perfectly with non-MMI bluetooth prep (with enomther's and CM7 firmware, I assume stock firmware does too).

Geordie Amanda
12-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Just had my first service (19,000 miles) and I asked about the Bluetooth problems I had developed. Apparently there is a software update to fix this. They should have it next week, along with the Sat Nav fix, so I will be heading back next week.

SunnyBard
13-04-2011, 02:34 AM
I asked about the Bluetooth problems I had developed. Apparently there is a software update to fix this.

What are the actual problems you've encountered?

Geordie Amanda
13-04-2011, 12:47 PM
What are the actual problems you've encountered?
Oops, I had posted the problem in a different thread! Silly me. Basically the phone book stopped importing. Tried repairing and all the usual stuff. but without success. My HTC Desire still works hands-free, but since a recent update to it, the importing doesn't work.

SunnyBard
13-04-2011, 12:58 PM
the phone book stopped importing. Tried repairing and all the usual stuff. but without success. My HTC Desire still works hands-free, but since a recent update to it, the importing doesn't work.

Mine did the initial phonebook import OK and seems to keep the recent calls lists synched properly, but I haven't checked that new phone book entries are being synched.

My phone is now running Gingerbread/CM7.

[EDIT]

Thinking about it, I did recently add a new contact, and have since received calls from that person which showed up properly by name, so it's working OK for me.

theskyfox
14-04-2011, 03:29 PM
tried it today. In short: YES. They copy all the numbers/names out. Go Android!

-Andrew

SunnyBard
14-04-2011, 03:41 PM
tried it today.

:banana: New toy?

J_B204
30-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Just synced my HTC Desire (with custom ROM Oxygen installed) - worked flawlessly with the Bluetooth on my new A4 B8, now all I need to do is get the blasted voice recognition to work properly....