PDA

View Full Version : Question K & N Air Filter - Yes Or No?

Bristle Hound
30-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Should I fit a K & N air fiter, yes or no>

Cheapest I can find for my model is £40.36 delivered -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/33-2945-K-N-KN-Air-Filter-AUDI-A4-2-0-09-10_W0QQitemZ380215640560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58869e41f0

monty51502009
31-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I assume you have a 2.0 petrol but I had a Pipercross one fitted in my Saab 150tid and noticed a decent improvement in throttle response so would assume that the same applies to a turbo petrol engine. Power was only upped by 3-4 bhp apparently but i had this combined with a tuning box. I tried the box on it's own and then added the filter to see the difference and was happy i spent the £40. Takes 5mins to fit and can be cleaned to extend the life rather than replacement. Should see a difference in a standard engine and a must if you have fettled it in anyway. Go for it.

penrecon
31-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I have a K&N Filter on my motorbike - a BMW R1150RT, which made a huge difference to throttle response and general performance.

I also fitted one to my last car, a Mk V Golf 2.0 tdi GT and really couldn't say that it made a very noticeable difference in performance, although there may have been some small economy gain.

Not sure if that may say something about the relative merits of the filters for Petrol & Diesel engines. Of course airflow is generally more important for Turbo Diesels, but on the other hand the bike's standard set up is not regarded generally as being restrictive - so who knows!

Soot1e
31-03-2010, 05:37 PM
When I asked Ed at APS about fitting a K & N air filter to my then Golf R32 I was advised to use a BMC air filter instead. Something to do with better air flow and construction. I obviously did not do any back to back testing but the throttle response was much sharper than standard and there was also some economy gains.

BMC are probably slightly more expensive though!

ScottyUK
31-03-2010, 09:41 PM
I have a K&N Filter on my motorbike - a BMW R1150RT, which made a huge difference to throttle response and general performance.

And a K&N on a Honda Blackbird fecks 'em up.

No. I'm not sure of the relevance either ;)

I had a TT for nearly 4 years and in that time I heard of so many people with bugged up MAFs due to oiled filters that I decided there and then never to fit one.

Personal choice but I wouldn't touch one on a modern vehicle.

pitch3110
01-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I had them in the olden days on a Fiesta Supoerports (w reg) and XR2. sound was great (and from the ********).

I switch between them on the Westfield which has twin DCOE Webers and trumpets, and the trumpets are better by far....(but they do suck in dogs and small children).

My view forget the K&N's, cut a hole in your bonnett and fit chrome trumpets......lovely

Pitch

ThePiombino
28-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Should I fit a K & N air fiter, yes or no>

Cheapest I can find for my model is £40.36 delivered -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/33-2945-K-N-KN-Air-Filter-AUDI-A4-2-0-09-10_W0QQitemZ380215640560QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars Parts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58869e41f0

General consensus on the US forums is that this will neither help nor hurt you, but rather be a lateral move. Some people swear that there is improved throttle while others feel that's rubbish. Maybe try it out and see for yourself. You can always take it out if you don't love it.

a4audio
29-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Post your results if you do get the K&N one, [33-2945] i believe. Im toying with the same idea, before getting a remap done.

Bristle Hound
03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Anyone got one fitted?

theskyfox
03-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Glad you asked this because Im already wondering whether or not to put one on the new car. I've got a K and N filter on the 1.9TDi...I believe it definately is an improvement, only because the standard one is just so rubbish..I wonder who designed the stock one because the second it gets a little dirty its clogged like a vacuum cleaner.

I can't say I've noticed any massive gains in MPG, maybe a little, but I certainly think the car breathes much better with it. People have said theres a sound difference above here too - Can't say I've noticed that??

Someone mentioned on here somewhere that the B8 A4 air filters are much better stock anyway? Can anyone clarify on this?

-Andrew

streetfighter-r
03-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I picked up the K&N replacement filter about 1.5K miles ago. If anything, there's a definite improvement on breathing efficiencies because I remembered a noticeable increase in the induction noise. No idea on gains though,but unless it's remapped you won't see anything from this.

If anyone is looking for improving the air filter, I would recommend replacement filters over any fancy induction kits that picks up more dirt, sucks in more engine heat and is generally more of a compromise for such a car.

a4audio
29-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Ive had mine fitted for a few months now and not had any problems. i cant comment on the performance gains of this alone, as i put in in at the same time as having a tuning box fitted (Viezu remap day), but they do work well together. The panel filter is no louder than the stock one, and hasnt caused any MAF sensor problems, though i am keeping an eye on it by visually checking to see if there is any oil residue inside the MAF. so far so good. (just dont over oil the filter after washing it!):biglaugh:

Verdict...Yes

DrewG
31-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I bought a K&N replacement element when i bought the car (I always have changed the stock filter to a K&N in previous cars so thought I'd get it ordered). Before fitting I asked the same question on this forum and was advised not too due to the oil clogging up the MAF sensor. So far the brand new filter has pride of place under the sink!!

Tell you one thing it's a heafty filter and looks more like the 57I induction kit than a panel filter :-)