PDA

View Full Version : Power steering - fluid change

jamieheron
30-03-2010, 10:21 PM
With 3 months to go on my warranty, last May, I got a noise from the powered steering fixed at my local dealer. I was told at the time that the problem was a known issue and was related to the original fluid in the powered steering not suitable. The repair was done under warranty and resolved the issue.

However, 9 months later, six months outside of the warranty period, the noise has reappeared. My dealer says that the repair isn't under any warranty because no parts were replaced. Audi UK have said that they can't help other than refunding the cost of the diagnostics (£117) if the problem is related to the one that was fixed in May 2009, but I would have to fund any repair.

Has anyone else had a similar experience of noise from the steering - most noticeable when travelling under 20mph.

info@weldingcut
06-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Hi Jamie

My Q7 will be out of warranty next month and I had a similar problem earlier this year, Cardiff Audi said that they were aware of the problem and had changed the fluid. all was fine until about a month ago when the "grating" noise returned. I have booked it in for an MOT next week and also advised them that the problem had returned.
They said they would investigate it when its in.

I will let you know what they find.

jamieheron
06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your response. When my problem was diagnosed while the car was in warrantly, the mechanic who took it for a drive diagnosed it as requiring a fluid change within about a minute, so it was obviously something that they knew about. That makes it difficult to accept that they're now walking away from the situation under the guise that a fluid change carries no guarantee period.

I'd be very interested to know what Cardiff Audi come back with and I'd recommend that you find out from them what the warranty on the repair is.

Thanks again for replying to the post.

info@weldingcut
13-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your response. When my problem was diagnosed while the car was in warrantly, the mechanic who took it for a drive diagnosed it as requiring a fluid change within about a minute, so it was obviously something that they knew about. That makes it difficult to accept that they're now walking away from the situation under the guise that a fluid change carries no guarantee period.

I'd be very interested to know what Cardiff Audi come back with and I'd recommend that you find out from them what the warranty on the repair is.

Thanks again for replying to the post.

Hi Jamie

My Q7 Went in yesterday for an MOT (Free) and the power steering "Rubbing" noise that I first had earlier this year.

At the time they said that they were aware of the problem, they had replaced the fluid and hoped that that would cure the problem. I noticed it again a few weeks later and as I said on my previous post decided to wait until having the MOT to have it investigated.

This was done yesterday at Cardiff Audi (Excellent) they found that the steering rack needs to be replaced with a "modified" one. It is booked in for next Thursday to have this work carried out. I will let you know how it goes.

With regard to the MOT, I have read on other posts that this was not entirely "Free" some people were having to have re-tests etc for minor fails. I did not have this problem, I had the MOT yesterday, it passed without fault and it was totally free.

I have said a number of times on various posts, I have always had excellent experiences with Cardiff Audi and in fact all of the "MON MOTORS" group of dealerships that include Bristol & Bath Audi, Cwmbran & Newport Ford, Capitol Skoda and Capitol VW @ Merthyr that I have bought vehicles from for over 20 years. It is a family owned company with an excellent ethos that is instilled into its staff.

Hope this helps

Info