PDA

View Full Version : Which car, your thoughts please.

Chappers
30-03-2010, 07:27 PM
The Mrs wants a new car. She's had enought of the old A4 and wants summat newer with a bit more poke. we are thing of an A3 tdi 130, a Golf GT Tdi 130 or 150, or a BMW 320d. I had a 320d a few years ago and it was very nice but then so is my current A6. i know most will prob be loyal with their answers and say go for VAG but what are your thoughts, pros and cons about the 3. We've got a max of 7k to spend.

thanks for your thoughts Paul

fourringsrus
30-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Hi Paul, now this is only an opinion based on some experience,I am a confirmed Audi nut but had a BMW a few years ago.
Now if we forget that the cylinder head cracked and cost me the best part of £1500 to put right,I would still struggle to work out why they are generally more expensive than my favourite brand.
When I had the BMW I found the 6 cylinder engine to be smooth ,refined,effortlessly powerful and reasonably good on petrol.
The ride was comfy, yet quite sporty and the interior quite well appointed with tricks and toys.
BUT IT WAS DULL.
When I had my A6 with similar engine size,bhp 5 speed manual and both cars were SE trim,
I really could not see why so many drivers see the BMW as superior.
The BMW,523i SE
The Audi A6 2.4 SE
Both 170 bhp
Both six cylinder,BMW in-line,Audi "v"
Both 5 speed manual ,SE spec
Both a nice drive but check out my signature or the photo's in my profile album to see how I would choose these days.

Good luck whatever you buy

Stuart

MalcQV
31-03-2010, 10:05 AM
My standard reply. You and certainly your wife go out and drive the BMW, then the others or at least one of the VAG. Decide which you like.

Then go on a BMW forum and ask about problems, these answers are IMHO real world ones, you will get the good and the bad. I have done just that as I am thinking [seriously] about an Alfa Romeo. Been to see one but not driven one yet that will come once the VW has gone, however being Italian it will be a superb drive :p