PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Rear passenger side shocker

Hursty1978
29-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Hello new to Forum!

My A4 has suddenly developed a knocking sound which seems to be coming from the rear passenger shocker. I have recently had the car serviced and mentioned the noise to them but the assure me that the shock absorber is ok .The car is 4 1/2 years old and has only done 31500k. They told me that it could be a plastic cover? that may have worked loose but could not be 100% sure without removing the boot lining. Anybody had this before??

Thanks

Alan02
29-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Its not the silencer box is it ? In that same area.

Hursty1978
30-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the reply!
How will I find the silencer box?. Do I have to remove the boot lining or is something that you can see from ubderneath the car.

Alan02
30-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Look under the car, inside of the right side rear wheel. You will see that the exhaust runs past here with the silencer box. It may not be positioned correctly, or a rubber mounting has broke allowing it to hit something when driving. Just a suggestion.

Hursty1978
30-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for that! will try to have a look later, weather permitting

Alan02
30-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Sorry.LEFT wheel it should be...what i was thinking of when i typed that...i dont know !! HAHA!

Hursty1978
01-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Had a look at this last night and the silencer box appears to be supported quite well with not too much movement and the rubber clips look ok. I have tried to remove the carpet from the inside wall of the boot as i assume this is the way in to get to the top of the shock absorber to see if anything is loose in there but struggled and didn't want to break anything that may be holding the panel in place.I tried to remove the plastic panel in the rear of the boot space by taking out the 2 9mm bolts but could not see what else was holding this on as this seems to hold the side panel as well. The noise has got a plasticy(not sure if a word)sound to it, maybe as if the seat was loose but as far as I know the seats are fixed in position. I have removed all loose objects from the boot space and the noise was still there this morning. Just out of interest what would be the approx price if it turns out to be the shocker?

Thanks Neil

:confused:

Alan02
01-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Dont know costs Neil, but have you tried getting someone to bounce the rear corner while you inspect from under car? You may see something.