PDA

View Full Version : Different help with a Tiptronic.

Jason.S
28-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi all,

I have had my s4 avant tip for a few days now, and i have a couple of questions!

When driving normally in D, around 30-40mph, it seems to stay in 4th gear until i speed up a little, but then only really changes up from 5th as speed increases. If i am cruising along at around 30 and let off the throttle, it doesnt change up. I read in the manual that it would change up through the gears fairly quickly (unless using kickdown) for economy. A friend of mine has a B6 S4 tip and his doesnt seem to "hang" in 4th at low speeds.

And, when pulling up to a junction, it doesnt drop down into first to pull out, it stays in 2nd, unless i accelerate a little quickly, and then it kind of jerks down into first almost instantly, and then im away. Its not a problem as such, just seemed a bit odd!

Is this normal behaviour with the tip tronics?

As i say, my buddy who (i thought) had exactly the same engine and gearbox doesnt have these issues(?).

Have they modified any gearbox softwares for the b7 from the b6?

Any help much appreciated before i go back to the dealer.
:beerchug:

Meteoro
30-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi, I think what is happening is that the car is using the lowest possible rpm to save gas, I have the same car (B7) and always has this slow response, to avoid this you can use the sport mode or just chip the car with a different setup.

Jason.S
31-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks for that.

Does yours stay in 4th at around 30-40mph?

I thought they changed up fairly quickly as another economy "thing:.

Meteoro
31-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Not sure if is the 4th but I notice that the RPM are always in the 2000 range, the turbo is not responding at that range, I will pay attention today in my way home to see if that is happening. Will post later

Jason.S
31-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Brill thanks.:beerchug:

kite
31-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Not sure if is the 4th but I notice that the RPM are always in the 2000 range, the turbo is not responding at that range, I will pay attention today in my way home to see if that is happening. Will post later
Don't think Jasons S4 will have a turbo....
@ Jason have you checked the transmission fluid ?

Jason.S
31-03-2010, 10:39 PM
No i havent a turbo.

And no i hadnt even thought about checking the fluid as i have just bought it used from an Audi dealer, and so i assmumed all this would have been part of the multipoint check?

kite
31-03-2010, 10:43 PM
If you have just brought and are not happy with something....take it back and have them look at the problem under the warranty

Meteoro
01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi, well without a turbo, this will make a big difference, we have different engines and we can't compare the transmissions. My opinion is the same as kite, go back to the dealer and explain the problem.

gazza57
17-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Jason S

No multipoint check will pick up transmission fluid, in Audi world they are sealed for "life"
Get it changed I didn't and £4300 later...