PDA

View Full Version : Locking the Glovebox..?

Pimped-Passat
26-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Just bought a new B6... Very impressed so far... but...

Is it possible to lock the glovebox on a new Passat..?!!!!

There is a lock on the glovebox but the new keys obviously don't fit it..!

The same can be said for the passenger airbag switch and the rear seat locks..?

The Main ******* only supplied 2 of the new fancy key fobs, no "normal" key was supplied....

(don't really want to speak to the dealer as they annoy me so much!)

Any ideas ?

Am I been a total fool..?!!!

Cheers
Un-Pimped Passat

Flash2
26-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey Pimped. Get your fancy key fobs and look at the sides. You will see a little button on the silver part. Press that in and pull the keyring and a little plastic key should slide out. You can use that to gain access to the vehicle if the remotes fail too. Does VW not print this sort of stuff in the drivers manual?

Regards - Jim.

Pimped-Passat
26-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey Jim...

Thanks for the info..! Just had a play with the key fob thingy and yes if you press a button and pull as if by magic the "secret" key appears!!

Fantastic..! This car is impressing me more and more..!!

I did give the owners manual a quick look last night but it wasnt that obvious about the keys, etc. I'll look in more detail later...

Cheers
De-Pimped-Passat
Out = 2004 Passat 1.9Tdi 130 Highline (as pictured)
In = 2007 Passat 2.0Tdi 140 Sport (picture to follow)

Quatrelle
26-05-2007, 02:50 PM
The 400-page manual (driver's *hand*book?!) does not encourage you to dip in, especially when it's in French, as in my case. Fortunately managed to get one in English on the dreaded Ebay.

However, my dealer gave me half an hour in the car in the showroom pointing everything out (especially the key) before I drove away. Presumably the UK dealer didn't do something similar for you?

Pimped-Passat
26-05-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi

The UK dealers are more intersted in selling you GAP insurance and making sure that you sign a load of FSA disclaimers that "prove" they gave sound financial advice. What a load of rubbish... its just another mechanism to sell you things you don't want and hide behind the statement "we've got to go through all this by law, or else the FSA will come after us"... Utter nonesense.....

As for the brand new car hand-over, see above... joke....

I might start a thread on peoples experiences with dealers hand-overs and the way in which they quote the FSA as a legal requirement...

Cheers
P-P

Flash2
26-05-2007, 03:58 PM
p-p, here is something else the dealer probably didn't tell you. You can't lock the keys in the boot. If you place the key in the boot and shut the lid, it automatically pops back up. There's a sensor in the boot that senses the immobiliser transponder signal...COOL. Just make sure you keep the spare handy incase it doesn't work. If you pull up at traffic lights and apply the hand brake. When the light goes to green, you can just drive off and the park brake will automatically disengage. This doesn't work if you don't have your seatbelt on though.
Enjoy the new car.

Quatrelle
26-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Don't recall anything in the book to that effect, and it didn't work with mine! Opened the boot by pressing on the fob, put something in the boot and left the fob in there. Shut the boot, there was a gentle click and everything locked. Fortunately I was at home at the time. Have tried it since and it definitely doesn't work - older and wiser. One of my daughters has a 2006 B6 and I think hers is the same

The 'handbrake' works fine so long as you press the clutch pedal right down when you select the gear, but if you're a bit lazy....

Pimped-Passat
26-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Must admit the new "hand" brake is proving a bit difficult to master as my drive is quite steep..!!

A combination of the new handbrake and 1st gear been where the reverse gear used to be nearly caused me to park the new car in the dining room.........! Explain that on an insurance form..!!

Any tips on hill starts when you first start the car..?!!

Cheers
P-P

PS - Think the new B6 is awesome..!

Quatrelle
26-05-2007, 05:21 PM
When you first start the car, are you belted in, doors shut, clutch right down when you select first? Because of its ability to handle hill starts with little or no input from the driver, the Passat cannot be used for the driving test. Does it not release, or ask you to press the footbrake?

Pimped-Passat
26-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Hi

I wasn't pressing the brake pedal first (as instructed by the computer)..! Always read the instructions...!

All seems straight forward now.

Cheers
Mark

PS - How do you do handbrake turns using the button..?!!!!

Quatrelle
26-05-2007, 09:33 PM

With difficulty:D

Glad you got it sorted!

John

carl s
28-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi

I wasn't pressing the brake pedal first (as instructed by the computer)..! Always read the instructions...!

All seems straight forward now.

Cheers
Mark

You should be able to just pull away without worrying about the handbrake. The only time it tells you to press the brake pedal to release the handbrake is if your seatbelt is not buckled up.

How to do a hill start;

shut door
put seatbelt on
start car (with foot on clutch)
With handbrake still on, just put the car in gear and drive off (obviously with a bit more revs balancing the clutch like you would normally on a hill start)If you try to move the car on your drive with either the seatbelt off, or the door slightly open it won't let you move and will bring up the "remove parking brake manually" message.

Believe me I've tried ! In the first week of having the car I had to do a reverse hill start on my father-in-law's driveway. It was a 1-in-3 steep drive and I'd stupidly parked about a foot away from the garage door. (no idea how you're supposed to park a car in there without ripping the front bumper off!)
Took a lot of nerve to try the reverse hill start the next morning with the family watching... :biglaugh:

BenR
29-05-2007, 04:25 PM
Agreed - that handbrake takes a bit of getting used to. I am in the habit of driving up to lights at the top of a hill, holding the car momentarily on the clutch then applying the handbrake and it won't let me do that!

Another couple of little tricks the car has that you may not have found in the handbook:

The 500 radio gets louder as you drive faster - fantastic! All cars should have this! The volume range can be adjusted.

The wipers go to intermittent when you stop. Saves that annoying juddering on a nearly dry windscreen.

Only small things but they help me to prefer this car to the A4 I had before.

Pimped-Passat
29-05-2007, 07:48 PM
BenR,

Agreed, the new Passat gets better the more I drive it and discover the nice little touches..!! I was a massive fan of the previous model Passat, but VW really seem to have leaped forward into BMW 3 Series territory with the B6. Seriously, I am well impressed!

The auto wipers are great (picked the car up new on Friday and it hasn't stopped raining since, gutted!), and I also like the auto headlights.... (it got that dull the other day they came on during the rain..!!!)

Just discovered the neat hook in the boot that you can hang your Chinese take-away on to avoid spillage during rapid transit home, and even better, the discreet umbrella slot "inside" the drivers door..!! FANTASTIC..!!

Any other "hidden" treats waiting for me I wonder..?!!!

Cheers
P-P (AKA Mark)

carl s
30-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Have you tried holding the unlock button down on the remote when you open the car? It should open all the windows. The same applies (and perhaps more useful) to locking the car if you leave a window open, just keep the lock button pressed down and it winds the windows up for you.

I have the auto adjusting passenger door mirror when you put the car in reverse. The mirror has to be in the "Left" position. Not sure if this is part of my 12-way electric seat pack though?

I assume you've found the airconditioning outlets in the armrest and glovebox?

Pimped-Passat
31-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Yep, discovered the remote window operation the other day... great..!

I delved into the Owners Guide last night and found out that when you spray washer fluid onto the screen, the air conditioning immediately switches to recirculation mode for 20 seconds so you don't get the smell of the washer fluid inside the car..!!!

‘til later…

Quatrelle
31-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I really ought to spend more time with my on-board computer to sort out the options available on mine. They do depend on the trim level that you buy, I think mine's the equivalent of the 'middle' one that's available in the UK.

Shame about the aircon switching off when the washers come on - I always used a drop of Chanel no. 5 in our other car;)

Dipstick's bl..dy useless though.

I read a US road test of the B6, and someone suggested that the umbrella holder in the door would have been more useful if it had been designed to take a .45 - says it all really. Some owners over there have been receiving the brolly, free, some time after delivery. It doesn't happen in France...

Pimped-Passat
31-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Trust our American friends to suggest a gun holder instead of a brolly slot...!!! You can image the "Dealer Supplied" accessories page in the price book couldn't you.... "Holster to suit Colt 45"

BTW - The "official" VW Brolly is £29....!!! Talk about taking the p#ss..!! when you've just spent circa £20k on a new motor..!!!

carl s
01-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Yep we don't get the Brolly here, or (which is mjore annoying) the warning triangle. If you look at the inside trim on the boot there's an intricate storage door & pocket to fit a warning triangle... which is empty on UK cars :(

Quatrelle
02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Yes, I bought a VW triangle and have since been working out a way to locate it in the space in the bootlid. I thought when I first looked that the piece of bright plastic in the lid was in some way connected with the triangle, but checked in the handbook and it is of course a luminous emergency boot release that can be actuated (with difficulty!) from inside the car.....So at the moment it's wedged down the side of the spare till I can find time to play with it.

twvw
03-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Did you ever solve the problem of how to fix the Warning Triangle??

Quatrelle
03-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Did you ever solve the problem of how to fix the Warning Triangle??I did. Sorry, forgot the follow-up:o. It's now held in place with two thin straps. I'll post a picture and details tomorrow.

twvw
03-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Many thanks!!!:Blush:

Quatrelle
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
twvw - Not sure how far you are prepared to go with this, or whether you like the look of it, but this is what I did.

Remove the boot lid liner by undoing four torx screws that are concealed in the boot-lid closing recess and then prise it off round its edges using a stiff, wide (2-3 cm) spatula or similar (you can actually buy a suitable tool for this), and use a piece of card to protect the paint. If you can lift it away slightly with your fingers you will see where the clips are that hold it in place. From memory I don’t think there is any other fixing – if it hangs off on the cable of the emergency boot-opening handle when you’ve undone all the clips you’ll know!

I then cut two small slots each side (see picture) with a Stanley knife to enable me to thread the straps through (note that the cuts are in the corner of the recess – this prevents tearing of the liner when tightening the straps – and of course they need be no wider than the straps). There is no need to open the cuts up if you use a thin strap. I bought the straps from a cycle shop some while ago – any small strap will do, but I prefer these because they are thin, light and infinitely adjustable.

It’s then just a question of replacing the liner, not forgetting the torx screws. Hold the triangle in place and do one strap tight - I used a piece of high-density foam (I cut suitable pieces from an old 5mm-thick mouse mat) under the strap to get a better fixing, and then do the same with the other one. Check both for tightness.

Finally, for neatness, I stuck down the ‘flaps’ of the strap using a small square of double-sided sticky tape – they can be undone in the (hopefully) unlikely event that the triangle will be needed.

If you do decide to proceed, and there’s anything else you need to know, just ask.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s256/Quatrelle/DSCF0700s.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s256/Quatrelle/DSCF0697s.jpg

claranet
18-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Just bought a new B6... Very impressed so far... but...

Is it possible to lock the glovebox on a new Passat..?!!!!

There is a lock on the glovebox but the new keys obviously don't fit it..!

The same can be said for the passenger airbag switch and the rear seat locks..?

The Main ******* only supplied 2 of the new fancy key fobs, no "normal" key was supplied....

(don't really want to speak to the dealer as they annoy me so much!)

Any ideas ?

Am I been a total fool..?!!!

Cheers
Un-Pimped Passat
Oh contrare ! There IS a conventional key which is hidden in the clunky key thingy.

The Keyring attachment can be detached by the following:

Place the Clunky keythingy on a table with the tapered end at the top and the keyring attachment at the bottom the 'close' button is at the top and the 'open' button at the bottom

With the Chrome bit at the bottom, on the R/H side there is tiny rectangular button; press this in and gently pull on the keyring in a straight line downwards.

Hopefully, you will now have a black plastic key; with this, you can do many things: lock/unlock the glovebox. Turn off the front passenger airbag off(not recommended unless using rear facing Child safety seat) turn on/off the child locks on the rear doors. You can also gain entry into the car should the battery(on the clunky key thing) fail. the Black plastic key is inserted under the driver's door handle.

The key can returned to' Thunderbird 2' - clunky key thingy by simply pushing it back until it clicks into position.

The Manual supplied with the car does take a long time to get through; please take the time to familiarize your self with all the details, even then, you will still discover things - I only discovered the other day that the rear wiper comes on if the front wipers are on and you happen to engage reverse ! however all the information IS there including how to use the plastic key !

Taking our Sport 170 Estate on it's first long journey to Scotland at Christmas !

I hope the above helps and Happy Christmas !

claranet

Quatrelle
18-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi Claranet - where have you been? This was answered in May :confused:

claranet
18-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Don't recall anything in the book to that effect, and it didn't work with mine! Opened the boot by pressing on the fob, put something in the boot and left the fob in there. Shut the boot, there was a gentle click and everything locked. Fortunately I was at home at the time. Have tried it since and it definitely doesn't work - older and wiser. One of my daughters has a 2006 B6 and I think hers is the same

The 'handbrake' works fine so long as you press the clutch pedal right down when you select the gear, but if you're a bit lazy....
I will try this in a mo; but I remember the sales Guy advising not to use the tailgate function as it is possible to lock the keys in the boot - however this was when we bought our one year old B5 in 2004 which we still have.

I will make sure before I try this on the B6 that I have the spare key - just in case !!

Regards
claranet

claranet
18-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Hi Claranet - where have you been? This was answered in May :confused:
Maybe it was, but I joined in October !!

Quatrelle
18-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Maybe it was, but I joined in October !!Shame - you've missed all the best bits :);)

domestos
18-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Nobody seems to have mentioned other fatures that make the PASSAT a joy to drive, which you do not get informed at the dealer...

Tap the indicator to get three flashes. Great for motoway lane changes and pulling in.
Cruise control is the best I have seen on any car, although I have somtimes flashed my beams, when I have meant to turn it on.
Multi-selection intermittent wipers, when one wipe every 5 seconds is not enough.
Sixth gear is a dream when cruising on the motorway in the 2.0 TDI. I drove the 1.9 and it really felt like it was missing that sixth gear at higher speeds.
Sorry to say, but the 1.9 TDI is underpowered for the size of the car.Some querks...

I never feel the standard Dunlop Sport 01's are fully sticking to the road above 75mph when moving in a straight line. They are great for conering though.
The handbrake button takes some getting used to. But when you are used to it, you feel every other car is somwhat lacking. Espcially with hill starts.

Quatrelle
18-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Domestos - I'd go with all of that.

Might be worth reading this thread

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=18726

in case it's not actually your tyres. Perhaps you can relate to some of the comments there.

John

claranet
31-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I tried this today on my Oct 07 Sport 170 Estate, and it does not work ! However IF you have the keyless entry then MAYBE it might work. VW seem to have a problem with communication with it's customers. I would have thought that the dealer or his/her technicians might know this.

Anyway, Happy new year !

claranet

claranet
31-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Hi,

I have just returned from a Christmas trip to North Oxon from the highlands of Scotland with my 170 DPF Sport Estate. I have to say the car performed really well and is a real mile muncher ! No complaints at all. It is also the first time that I have used cruise control. Cruise control is great when the motorways are relatively empty, but when things get busy I would advise to leave the thing turned off, it is very easy to find yourself looming up behind slower vehicles. I managed to get my 'Applecross' fix that is a famous hairpin switch back road with passing bays, all amongst spectacular scenary. My sport took it all in it's stride although the ABS came in useful when a local Farmer in his 1971 Landie came hurtling towards me on one of the many hairpin bends lucky for me the shear drop was on his side !

Happy new year !
claranet

It is the first long trip since taking delivery in October

claranet
31-12-2007, 11:44 PM
didn't work !
claranet