PDA

View Full Version : Audi a3 1.8t quattro not starting

rom
27-03-2010, 11:08 PM
hi
i have an audi a3 1.8t quattro. i am having some major problems with it, at first when the car was cold it wouldnt start stright away, it used to just turn over about 6 times and then fianlly start.. at this point i had the fuel pump and spark plugs changed..

one day driving back from work it just cut on me and now all it does is start and then after about 2 seconds it cuts out.. the accelorator doesnt work and the car keeps doing the same thing..

mechanics have checked it and the system is showing no errors.. i have changed the main relay in the engine but that hasnt solved the issue.. now it starts and just cuts out and the accelorator doesnt work

ANY IDEAS ANY ONE??

PLEASE HELP

Crasher
28-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Which year and engine code?

rom
28-03-2010, 12:44 PM
its a v reg 2000 what do u mean by engine number is ajq049021

thanks

Crasher
28-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Yes, an AJQ engine. That strikes me as being a fuel delivery issue IF there are definitely no codes stored. I have lost count of the times I have had cars in with problems where no codes are stored and when I scan it, there are appropriate codes in the ECU. One I had in a few weeks ago had eleven codes stored when it was supposed to be clear. It needs to be established that it is definitely having fuel delivered properly, not just an initial burst. The cut out after starting sounds too long for it to be an immobiliser issue as the immobiliser cuts the engine in less than a second. A possibility is a faulty fuel pump relay.

rom
28-03-2010, 08:13 PM
do u mean the ecu is gone?? i mean when it does start it stays on for about 1 maybe 2 seconds and then turns off!!

what would i need to do to get it running again??

thanks

Crasher
28-03-2010, 11:13 PM
No I don’t mean the ECU is gone, I don’t see how you get that impression from what I said, ECU failure is extremely rare.

You need to establish that fuel is being delivered and that there are definitely no fault codes in the engine ECU, with what you describe it sounds like fuel delivery or an immobiliser issue.

I would suggest a code read of the engine and the dashboard (which contains the immobiliser) by another garage or is the car still with the initial garage?

It is impossible to tell you what to do to get it running again as we don’t know what is wrong with it.

rom
29-03-2010, 05:11 PM
hi,

just wanted to say thanks for ur help in trying to resolve the issue with my car but it has all been sorted out..

the reason i asked if it was the ecu is cause thas what someone had told me it was.. supposed to be a mechanic but i guess not

ur prob gonna laugh cause i know i did when i found out what it was.. basically i had a new fuel pump fitted and the place that done it put it in the wrong way round so the 1 the car had run out of fuel which i was not aware of as the gage had stopped working cause of the fuel pump being the wrong way round.

thank god its now all done and cost me £100

what a joke.. that mechanic needs to hang up his gloves and find a new job

many thanks though

rom