PDA

View Full Version : Cancel an order

theoboe
26-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I have a A4 S-Line on order. A change of circumstances means I may have to cancel the order. What is the best approach to take with the dealer? I assume I'm going to have to forfeit the deposit?

The build week is week 17 so not yet on the production line. Will this make any difference?

This sucks.

Cheers.

Issac Hunt
26-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Just tell them your cancelling. You'll probably lose some/all of your deposit, how much did you put down?

theoboe
26-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi Issac, I have made a £1000 deposit payment.

ScottyUK
26-03-2010, 06:22 PM
In many cases they give you a full refund. Since I believe you can walk at any point then I don't think you'll have too much of an issue.

Good luck.

tlionhart
26-03-2010, 06:23 PM
talk to the business manager ASAP. I don't think you will loose your deposit. It's in place to stop canceled purchases and make the buyer think they will lose their money. The dealer may hang onto the deposit until your new car arrives and refund you once someone purchases it. So means waiting a month or 2.

-Personal experience, happened to me on an A5 Cabriolet last year. P.S expect them to also throw toys out of the pram kicking and screaming. Talk to consumer direct before you speak to the dealer to make sure you can strongly cancel the order with ammunition. Confirm you will get your deposit back, consumer direct says 'must be refunded' however the dealer may blab you with 'you have to go to a small claims court, layer, etc'. These guys really do get sore feet about it, however your circumstances are more important. Just tell them the truth and they may actually be happy enough just to cancel it. After heated discussions with the dealership manager, he agreed to pay me back. Meant waiting till the car was sold and driven of the forecourt. I did get my deposit of £1000 back also. About 4 weeks later. The dealers manager was ok in the end, just his business manager was pathetic. You could imagine the 'ambience' when I returned for my refund (paid by credit card) You even heard the tumble weeds in his office.
You are also not contracted at the moment as you haven't actually signed a finance agreement yet, so I understand your not legally bounded by them. The dealership is a franchise and have their 'own' accounts. Hence the allocation numbers, etc. Hope thinks work out ok with no problem :)

porty
26-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't want to put a damper on this thread, but you need to check the wording on the back of your order. In nearly all cases, upon order the dealer is committed to supply the vehicle and you are committed to buy. However, as you would be cancelling before the car has been built, the dealer would have a duty to mitigate your loss by cancelling your order with the factory and using the production slot for one of their other orders. In this scenario, you should get your full deposit back.