PDA

View Full Version : oil question

MA6BUSA
25-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Just curious what anyone with a A6 2.8 quattro uses when changing their oil. I'm about due for my first change since purchase of a 2001 model. Thanks in advance.
Dave

adamss24
25-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Just curious what anyone with a A6 2.8 quattro uses when changing their oil. I'm about due for my first change since purchase of a 2001 model. Thanks in advance.
Dave
Go for a fully synthetic 0W40 Castrol Edge engine oil.

sbt
30-05-2007, 10:50 PM
hi i have the same car with 150000 mile on it i use castrol gtx magntec 10x40s with no problems whatsoever ox40s is a bit thin in my humble opinion

Lex Luthor
31-05-2007, 04:53 AM
hi i have the same car with 150000 mile on it i use castrol gtx magntec 10x40s with no problems whatsoever ox40s is a bit thin in my humble opinion

0W40 and 10W40 are the same viscosity at engine working temp....

The 0W40 will be fully synthetic and give better engine protection on cold starts.

sbt
31-05-2007, 04:17 PM
fair comment but gtx is a lot cheaper remember the advert protection from the moment you turn the key it could be hype but all i can say is 150000 mile and still running sweet as a nut i change it every 5000 mile . in the past i have known fully synthetic to find weak oil seals and create problems where there was none before suppose it depends on the milage at the end of the day you pays your money and makes your choice but why pay more than you need to its all about regular oil changes and its cheaper with gtx

MA6BUSA
31-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the info. :beerchug:

Niall76
31-05-2007, 10:29 PM
I use 10/40 semi-synthetic from Mobil

Tremendous.

gazza57
06-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I have an A6 2.7t which I confess has diverged from the original question about oil for a 2.8 , but my comment is one about oil in general and whether one should deviate from the manufacturer's recommendation. My A6 must have oil which conforms to Vw504.507, and the one I use is 5-30 Fully Synthetic Castrol Edge.
It's not cheap, best I have got it for is £42.99 for 4 litres and she needs eight in an oil change!
You should be able to ascertain the appropriate Vw standard for your audi from the handbook or from your ******* and I would stick to that.
There are many people who use different oils such as motul or mobil 1, I have heard from some that it's Ok and from others that it isn't.
An independent garage which I use has told me that audi petrol engines run a little hotter than other manufacturers engines to comply with emission standards and to get the cats hotter quicker which results in lower overall emissions so sometimes using an unapproved oil or one which does not meet the relevant standard for the vehicle is a little risky.
I think if you stick to the manufacturer's recommendation you can't go wrong.

Gazza57

sbt
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM
castrol gtx magnatec exceeds vw/audi spec

gazza57
07-06-2007, 07:17 AM
I disagree with you there, SBT, neither oil exceeds the other, they are two different specs made for different applications.
Incidentally both Magnatec which is to API SL and ACCA A1/B1 and Edge which complies with VW504.507 are both manufactured by Castrol anyway.
I don't think it's a question of one oil exceeding the spec of the other, they are different oils recommended by different engine manufacturers that's all.
Gazza57

sbt
07-06-2007, 04:58 PM
hi your car is a turbo the guy who asked the original question does not have a turbo and therfore does not need to use expensive fully synthetic oil the way you are talking spending a £100 on an oil change is no big deal well it is to some people . i wil qoute you from from the gtx container which states especially suitable when your hand book states VW 505 00, VW 500 00, MB 229.1 which his handbook will state because he as the same engine as me none turbo

gazza57
07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info SBT regarding the 2.8 non turbo oil,
I must admit to being a bit puzzled as to your comment of me thinking £100 was no big deal for an oil change, I don't think I said that did I? nor did I imply it anywhere in the post.
My car is nearly seven years old and didn't cost me the earth to buy, and indeed £85 is a lot of money to me too.
Show me a place where I can get the oil I need cheaper and I'd be only too glad to go and buy it there.
I merely made the point about the oil because as with this bloke when I did my first oil change there was tons of info out there about the best oil to buy and which specs were which and so on and I got conflicting advice from all sorts of people about which was best.
Frankly I didn't know who was right and who wasn't it just seemed the best option to go for the recommended spec of oil.
Just the same as you I was merely trying to help the bloke and share any experience with him.
Gazza57

MA6BUSA
08-06-2007, 03:23 PM
I appreciate all the information you have supplied me. Good thing I didn't ask about something more elaborate. :beerchug:

sbt
08-06-2007, 05:16 PM
hi the very fact we are on this site means we all love our cars and want to care for them as best as possible but it does not always mean we have to spend a fortune doing it if i had a turbo car i would not dream of using anything but fully synthetic and a quality one at that but for non turbo a quality brand of 10x40.s is especialy suitable if it as a good few miles on it i think we all agree that motoring costs are getting out of control and if i can save a fellow enthusiast a few quid i think thats what this site is all about . happy motoring

gazza57
08-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I agree 100% sbt
Gazza57

MA6BUSA
15-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Got the oil changed the other day and all in the world is wonderful. Just need a little more advice. couldn't find the thread showing how to turn off the maintenance required warning that turns on when you start the car. Thanks in advance gents.

sbt
17-06-2007, 07:02 PM
hi when you sit in the drivers seat you will see 2 buttons below the dials press and hold the right button .switch on ignition the letters oel or oil will appear in the display pull on the left button until the letters are erased and replaced by ---. happy motoring

MA6BUSA
18-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Let me go over this once,(couldn't get it to work), 1. push and hold right button 2. turn on ignition 3. letters oel or oil appear 4. pull left button til letters erase to ---... Correct? should I release the right button at any time or hold it in til complete? does the ignition need to be simply on or does the car need to be running? After I push the right button and turn on the ignition the message center displays the miles to service required then it reverts to place foot on brake to shift out of park.. I never got a oil screen alert. did i miss something? Thanks again..

sbt
18-06-2007, 04:52 PM
hi mate my fault with you doing an oil change i thought you wanted to extinguish the oil change diplay crossed wire ok this is the procedure to put the maintanence light out remember button A is right button B is left . press and hold button A switch on ignition release button A and then press and release button A the letters INSP will appear in the display pull out button B until the letters are erased and replaced with --- let me know how you get on the previouse procedure was for extinguishing the oil change display wright that one down it will come in handy