PDA

View Full Version : hi please help many problems golf mk4 t reg

bretclowes
25-05-2007, 05:35 PM
hi i have got a 1999 golf mk4 1.4 16v s. t reg its done 56,000 miles and im the second owner

i have a few problems that need sorting if u can please help

i have starting problems with my golf sometimes it will only start after a few attempts sometimes it starts but the revs drop as if its gonna cut out then it jumsp back up and then sometimes is fine ill drive to the shops then wen i try start it up agen it wont start for a few attempts.

i get smoke coming out of my exhaust wen i change gear or pull off its like a whit smoke

it uses a lot of moil and wen i say a lot i mean alot i could put four litres in and after a week or two it could be gone.

amd my fuel consumption is teribble. please could anyone help i need this fixed

Eshrules
26-05-2007, 04:10 PM
hi i have got a 1999 golf mk4 1.4 16v s. t reg its done 56,000 miles and im the second owner

i have a few problems that need sorting if u can please help

i have starting problems with my golf sometimes it will only start after a few attempts sometimes it starts but the revs drop as if its gonna cut out then it jumsp back up and then sometimes is fine ill drive to the shops then wen i try start it up agen it wont start for a few attempts.

i get smoke coming out of my exhaust wen i change gear or pull off its like a whit smoke

it uses a lot of moil and wen i say a lot i mean alot i could put four litres in and after a week or two it could be gone.

amd my fuel consumption is teribble. please could anyone help i need this fixed

hate to say it mate and i dont want to sound like a scaremonger, but sounds like the head's had it mate.

white smoke, burning oil and poor fuel consumption - check.

if i were you , get it to a garage and get a compression test done mate:beerchug:

cairnsie13
26-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Could just want a head gasket still an expensive job though

bretclowes
26-05-2007, 05:32 PM
thanks for the advice never really thought it could be the head gasket there is no water in the oil or oil in the water. never have temperature problems. the smoke only happens on occasions i thought the starting problem could just be temperature sensor.

do u think it would benefit from a full service before i try head gasket because at least the oil filter and then the fuel filter would be new that might cure the fuel and oil.

does anyone have any other suggestions

cairnsie13
26-05-2007, 05:57 PM
The only way you could lose that much oil is if eirther its burning it or leaking oil. I suppose it could be the valve stem seals but again its a head off job. The stem seals stop oil entering the cylinder when the valve is closed. Oil tends not to get into the cyinder when the engine is running at a reasonable RPM unless they really bad as the compression stops the oil coming into the cylinder. However when you change gear and the rpm drops oil gets in hence the smoke also when engine is switch off oil seeps in and contaminates spark plugs and therefore it takes a few revolutions of the engine to get rid of the oil so the engine can start. However oil burns blue not white. White smoke signifies water or brake fluid. However brake fluid can only get in the engine if the servo seals are knackered and it is very rare and have only heard of it one before on a classic mini.

paul mk4 proble
31-07-2007, 06:50 PM
hello mate dunno if this will help but im having simaler problems and one thing ive found is the crankcase breather system mine was all cruded up to hell bit of bitch to get off as well u can find it by following the small pipe that feeds into the air filter housing on the to left hand side you will have to remove the complete air filter housing to get access then there is four 5mm allen key bolts that hold the box that you will find at the end of that pipe remove this box and inspect if its the same as mine you will find its all blocked up with a mayonaisey substance (oil and Water) give it a clean out with petrol and you might find this cures your problem i would also recomend you clean ur throttle body with a good silcon cleaner and if nessacery change ur airfilter