PDA

View Full Version : Question V6 4motion very heavy steering

waqar642
25-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Wondering if anyone could help, or if this is even a problem:
Just bought myself a very smart b5.5 Passat saloon v6 4motion, which replaces a b5 2.3 V5, which I ran for many a year. I have never actually driven the v6 till now, but the steering seems incredibly heavy in comparison to the v5, which I was not expecting. Not sure if that is normal, or whether I should be looking for things gone wrong. I know the b5's were very light to steer, probably too light, but the v6 seems very clumsy and hard work in comparison, especially giving way, or parking, which could be done 1-handed in the v5. If the v6 is not known to be like this, then I will investigate further. Have read some posts on belts slipping etc. Incidently the car is an 03 plate with 66k miles. Was serviced about 3,000 miles ago from Evans Halslow. Any help would be appreciated. It may just be the nature of the car, which if so, is fine..

ddave05
25-03-2010, 01:17 AM
I have made a similar change in vehicle - from a '99 B5 TDi to an '04 B5.5 TDi. The steering in the B5 was so light, I could turn it with my little finger. The 5.5 was a lot harder to turn and I too thought there could be a problem.

Until I drove a friends B5.5 which was very similar to the mine in feel. I think the older cars did have more assistance on the steering wheels. I decided to change the power steering fluid (which was very dark brown) and this helped to a small extent, but I think its just the way the newer cars were set up.

waqar642
25-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks ddave05. Must be a difference in the B5/5.5. I think I have been used to the ultra-light B5 for the last few years. Adjusted the rake/tilt, I think I am getting used to the heavier steering on the V6 now. It's growing on me, the B5 was a little bit too light at higher speeds. I'l llook into the power steering fluid. I'll check with German and Swedish and possibly upgrade it to the best quality they have and see what difference that makes..