PDA

View Full Version : aux heater help

kirkyboy
24-03-2010, 02:55 PM
hi i hope someone can put my mind a rest not sure if my aux heater is working, had the car for a week, it is a 53 plate 130bhp haran tdi sport 95k on clock is there any way to see if it is working. the temp out side has been very mild lately. i went out last night as it felt cool. It said 8.5 on car temp. Started it up and went for a drive I did 4 miles. The engine temp got up to 70-75 and the oil got up to 70. The blower was on 4 and on max heat and it was coming out luke warm. Stopped car no jet noise looked underneath and the little exhast was cold and other pipe was cold as well it looks in very good condition.
So is this right or should have the aux thing kicked in. went out this morning showinh 9c on out side temp let it tick over for 5 mins then went out and had it on fast idle and the temp went up to 60c. then whent for a drive with the heater on full and hot, got on to mway for 3-4miles temp got up to 85c it was nice an warm stopped at traffic lights for a couple of minutes and temp started to drop got back on to mway and heated right up blowing lovely warm air then stopped for 10 mins with car on tick over, temp did slightly get cooler but as soon as i got going it warmed up. is it too warm outsid for the aux to kick in, as they are ment to kick in at 5 or 10c.
please help and put my mind at rest. can i make the aux heater work on its own some how?
sory about long story pleaseplease help
cheers in advance kiryby

kenney
24-03-2010, 06:37 PM
the heater will not start with a temp over 5 degrees

kirkyboy
24-03-2010, 06:48 PM
hi keney thanks for reply mate
alot of people on fgoc are saying theres cuts in at 10 degrees but is my 53 plate sharan different and cuts in at 5deg
just been on the floor under the sharan and the unit with the exhuasts is getting warm on tick over is this correct
cheers mate

kenney
24-03-2010, 09:27 PM
As stated the unit will not start with an ambient temp over 5 degrees,or a water coolant temp higher than 70 degrees.To test the heater you can remove the contact and bridge the teminals on the ambient temp sensor contact,which you will find in the plenum chamber.You can also have a fault code read to see if anything is showing up.There may be a certain amount of heat coming from the unit as the coolant to a certain extent will flow through it.

kirkyboy
25-03-2010, 08:57 AM
yes the unit is warming up is this a good..
Again this morning did not work but the temp gauge in the car was reading 9c.
hopefully get my vagcom cable and software soon to check codes etc..
cheers kenny
atb kirkyboy