PDA

View Full Version : 2001 1.8 20v starting problem/battery

chips
24-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi all

I have a problem that manifests its self in the form of the car not starting. Sometimes, and there seems to be no pattern, sometimes its a couple of days, sometimes a couple of weeks, the car won't start, seems to be the battery, won't turnover and when I try to turn it over I loose the dash, everything on the dash goes off until I stop trying to turn it over.
Now heres something, when she doesn't start I can usually give it a bump start, as I live beside a hill, I can get it rolling and bump it and it'll start easily, when it starts I can switch the engine off straight away, and the car will start on the key with no hesitations at all, I can switch the car off and start it on and off five time (i tried this, this morning) and every time it starts on the button.

This can happen anytime. I can drive somewhere, stop then try to start again and it won't, but give it a bump and it will start fine, then I can switch it off and it will start with no hesitations. I have already changed the battery, and I changed the starter motor about a year ago.
If anyone can think of anything that maybe causing this problem I would be grateful for your input.

All the best

Chips

martin1810
24-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Poor earth connection to battery, body or engine. Damaged power cable to starter.

cazyp
24-03-2010, 04:20 PM
Or starting motor brushes worn..?

MalcQV
24-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Very similar to the problem I had a couple of months ago. It turned out to be the battery.

chips
24-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll look for a loose earth. I did change the battery a couple of months ago, and the starter motor just last year. Hopefully I'll find a bad earth.

Thanks again

Chips