PDA

View Full Version : B&O Sound System Production Issues - Cars built end of Feb 2010

the_it_bloke
24-03-2010, 10:24 AM
All

Please note there have apparently been issues with the B&O Sound Packs supplied to the Audi factory for A4, A5 & Q5 for cars due for build around Week 08-09 (late Feb 2010) which has stopped Audi fitting them.

For cars manufactured around this time the B&O sound system is being replaced by the standard Audi sound system for affected cars.

I only bring this up as they were supposed to contact affected customers before dispatch but I only found out when I picked my car up, you can only imagine my dissapointment!

There are solutions / options available to the dealer and mine were very appologetic and helpful. That said if you are awaiting delivery of your car and have ordered the B&O Sound System it might be worth asking your dealer about the Sound Pack Ordering and Build issue to confirm if you are affected or not.

I really hope you are not affected and hope this doesn't cause you concern, but I would personally rather have known BEFORE the car turned up than spoil that great feeling of picking up a new Audi on the day.

That said, I REALLY LOVE the car and many thanks to Audi for doing everything in their power to make up for the dissapointment.

Rgds

Gary_W
24-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Very interesting, and sorry you've had this issue :(

Read my thread that I started yesterday about the rattling B+O. I wonder if there is a relationship?

Niko
25-03-2010, 02:22 AM
This is v intteresting. I have written to my dealer and advised them of the concern being expressed here. For me it is a crucial requirement, it was the main reason for me buying another A4. Waiting for response. Car not due into UK for another week or so making build week around the time of concern. Will advise on their response. I am sure they would have said something though.

What options did you get when you found out it was not fitted?

Nik

Blagg
25-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I picked up my new car on Tuesday, only to find the B&O system had not been fitted. Everything else was fine, and the dealer was as suprised as me when I pointed out the missing system!

I took the car and the dealer undertook to resolve the issue but they were at a loss as to how to do so, I'm waiting for them to ring me to tell me what they've found out.

What sort of options does the dealer have? Is there any way the system can be fitted once the car has left the factory - assuming B&O resolve their issues?

ScottyUK
25-03-2010, 12:42 PM
All

Please note there have apparently been issues with the B&O Sound Packs supplied to the Audi factory for A4, A5 & Q5 for cars due for build around Week 08-09 (late Feb 2010) which has stopped Audi fitting them.

For cars manufactured around this time the B&O sound system is being replaced by the standard Audi sound system for affected cars.

I only bring this up as they were supposed to contact affected customers before dispatch but I only found out when I picked my car up, you can only imagine my dissapointment!

There are solutions / options available to the dealer and mine were very appologetic and helpful. That said if you are awaiting delivery of your car and have ordered the B&O Sound System it might be worth asking your dealer about the Sound Pack Ordering and Build issue to confirm if you are affected or not.

I really hope you are not affected and hope this doesn't cause you concern, but I would personally rather have known BEFORE the car turned up than spoil that great feeling of picking up a new Audi on the day.

That said, I REALLY LOVE the car and many thanks to Audi for doing everything in their power to make up for the dissapointment.

Rgds

And you're ok with that :confused:

When my car turned up with options missing (admittedly one was big - quattro) they ordered me a replacement. I drove that car until the new one turned up. I would not have accepted my car if the ordered B&O was not in it.

It would have spoiled the car feelgood factor for me in all the time I owned it. After specc'ing a car and spending £30k+ then it should be as ordered. I'm not legal beagle but supplying something that's not what you've ordered is surely breaking the contract. Of course the options are open as to how it's resolved and they could just say "sorry, would you like to reorder" and leave you to sort out your transport until it comes in again.

Either way, good luck to you guys with this issue :beerchug:

Blagg
25-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Well I have it in writing that the delivery wasn't as expected, the dealer has promised to get something sorted, and solutions they said include anything up to and including a re-order/replacement car. Not sure how realistic that is but not much else I could do really. It does lessen the feel-good factor significantly.

They just rang me. Audi have delivered hundreds of cars with missing B&O. Since January they are part of the £500 Sound Pack that includes DAB (worth £300 on its own) and the offer being made to customers is £200 compensation.

When I ordered in December that wasn't the case, I paid £515 for the speakers and didn't order DAB. The car I have now does have DAB but I'd consider that a bonus that now comes with the £515 speakers, so I'd expect £515 (+the DAB I got) as compensation. I'd then be able to take the money and get some decent after-market speakers fitted.

And that is the point really, it isn't the money I want but some good quality speakers. I want Audi to sort that out for me. The dealer knows this, and I haven't accepted the £200.

The next step possibly depends on whether the B&O is going to re-appear at all on new builds,, however the dealer did confirm that they can still order it.

Geordie Amanda
25-03-2010, 01:35 PM
In general, how good are Audi at building your car exactly as you specced it? I know that my BMW had a shopping list added to it and the dealer called me in to confirm every single detail a couple of days before the build slot (do Audi know the build date in the same way?) and sure enough when the car came every single thing (18 of them) was present and correct.

Niko
25-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Update,

E-mailed the dealer and he confirmed my build week was number 10. He went onto say that my order was not affected, but did not say what the issue was. My take is that there is indeed an issue. I simply could not accept the car without the B&O as has been stated earlier, every drive and every day would be a reminder. The compensation unless in the thousands would not cut it!

After market solution would also not work imo as the B&O was specifically designed for this car and sounds awesome. I would rather do without the boot quite frankly than give up on the B&0!

Nik

Gary_W
25-03-2010, 03:28 PM
£200 compensation is an utter joke.

I am under the impression that B+O is something that cannot be retrofitted by the dealer. Willing to be put straight there.

I'm with Scotty - tell 'em to have it back and get you the car they actually ordered.

Blagg
25-03-2010, 04:36 PM
They have confirmed what we both thought, that the B&O cannot be retrofitted. Also confirmed that they are still ordering it for new cars, so I asked them if they were serious when they'd said I could re-order. He nervously said they were, they'd need to think about what I would drive for the next three months.

I am hopeful that this is going to get resolved. Maybe I'll just need to wait several more weeks until I have the car I thought I'd have. Until then, not sure what I'll be driving in, perhaps the very nice A4 I drove away 2 days ago?

Actually I think I'd be happy to compromise if they make a case that they want that one back so long as I had something reasonable that they find for me, maybe I'll need to pay something but I'd hope not. The dealer fully understands that I want the sound system (so long as it works) and not the cash, they said that what really matters to them is that I'm completely happy. Quite right too.

ScottyUK
25-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Confirm it via email/writing to them that you're rejecting the car as it's not as ordered. Also ask what they're suggesting with regards keeping you mobile etc.

If you px'ed then your old car may be around. They may say keep the new one but don't count on it.

Good luck :beerchug:

Blagg
25-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the interest and advice! I'll speak to the dealer again early next week I guess, it is a good point that I need to write to them as well.

My old part-ex will be touch and go on its MOT in a few weeks, and the tax runs out at the end of April! I'm sure they'll still have it.

the_it_bloke
26-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Seems I was not the only one affected then, although one of the posts I have seen indicates a car built after mine was not affected so the issue might not have been widespread....
Sorry I didnt fill in the options at the time but was in a bit of a rush.

Bearing in mind I ordered the 'Sound Pack' as an option which included B&O and DAB Radio, when I picked up the car I found the following fitted;

Standard Audi 300watt sound system (this DOES include surround sound for DVD playback but not Virtual Surround Sound for Stereo tracks)
This does sound very very good and includes full tone controls plus sub-base controls, none of which (I believe) are available with the B&O system

The DAB Radio was fitted

From the bill the Sound Pack had not been charged and the DAB Radio had been fitted free of charge.

My dealer responded by email (I was flying out of the country that day)within an hour of me picking up the car saying the following;

Options available were;
Keep the Audi sound and free RDS (i think there was something about £200 compensation?)
Order a new car, keep the exisitng one until it arrived and then swap the cars at no cost to me.
- It is not possible to retrofit the B&O system-

Bearing in mind the amound or swearing I had done at the time of collection (although I didnt kick up a big fuss) they advised me that they had already ordered me a new car and gave me the estimated build week (about 8 weeks time).

As far as I am concerned my local dealer acted in good faith and worked hard to resolve my issue. Although I was VERY dissapointed I do understad these things happen so I am happy with the proposed resolution. I get 2 months free use of the 'temp' car and still get my final car.

If this has happened to you, play with the sound system,
if its fine with you, have a free DAB radio
if you don't like it go to the dealer ASAP and request a new car is ordered, the longer the delay the further down the queue you go. This IS an option and is supported by AUDI themselves.

As a foot note I really do beieve the issue was a short term one which will almost certainly be resolved by now. It is pants that the factory did not inform us, but not really the dealers fault. Production issues do occur from time to time.....
To answer the comment from the BWM driver I have ordered other Audi's and never had a miss-spec'd car, indeed this was not a spec mistake but a production issue,... there is a difference.

Hope you find your resolutions

Geordie Amanda
26-03-2010, 10:32 AM
To answer the comment from the BWM driver I have ordered other Audi's and never had a miss-spec'd car, indeed this was not a spec mistake but a production issue,... there is a difference.

Thanks the IT Bloke, that was me asking about accuracy of production. I am hoping to go the dealers on Monday and hammer out the deal on an A4 S line with the sound pack. :)

the_it_bloke
26-03-2010, 01:46 PM
No problem

Do you already know what kind of deal is possible? Sounds like you are not a newbie to new car purchases....

Good luck ;)

Geordie Amanda
26-03-2010, 03:26 PM
No problem

Do you already know what kind of deal is possible? Sounds like you are not a newbie to new car purchases....

Good luck ;)

Thanks. I am a bit of a demon haggler, partly because I sold cars for a living for a couple of years. You get a feel for how much back end money is available and how hard to push :D One thing I do is, always let the dealer present other options to try to meet your ideal figures and I always work off the bottom line as things like APRs are a waste of time imho. And I use my cutest smile if all else fails :D

What I would like is a 3/0tdi S Line, with Sound Pack, High Tech Pack, Full Drive Select and Sports Diff, Folding mirrors, lnterior light thingie, Storage thingie, TPM, Hill Hold and Heated Seats. Still don’t know about the 19” wheel option on the Special Edition (it works out about the same for me using a PCP)