PDA

View Full Version : Spare Bulbs

sks109
24-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Hi folks, new owner here having just taken delivery of my CC having moved from BMW. 140DSG. I am well pleased with it to date, well apart from the battery going flat (new one under warranty) the only exception being the less than informative handbooks. As is always the case I like to have a full set of standard spare bulbs but there does not appear to be any reference to the type in the handbook.

Through the search function I have ascertained that the main and dip are H7, does anyone have a full list of the bulb specs or can point me in the right direction. The bulbs suppliers seem to miss out the CC when you check the lists.

Thanks in advance folks, I`m sure there will be more questions as I get used to it, but so far so good. The DSG is the business.

gamichea
24-03-2010, 12:33 PM
VW will do you a spare bulb kit based around an H7, including the coloured bulb for the rear indicators. Not sure if it covers front fogs. Having taken delivery of mine at the beginning of the cold snap I've not yet got round to peeking in all the lamp housings to compile a bulb schedule as I did with my B6 saloon.

See separate thread for my CC headlamp bulbs upgrade .

gamichea
31-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Now had a look good look round the lamps to find the following filamentous bulbs in use:-

2 x H6W Reversing lights,
8 x H7 Dipped & Main beams, Turn lights & Front Fog lights,
2 x H21W Front indicators,
2 x RY10W Rear indicators (amber),
2 x W5W Sidelights (by observation/guess as my fingers are insufficiently prehensile to extract the bulb holders),
6 x W16W Taillights (2 in each wing lamp housing & 1 in each boot lid lamp housing),
2 x W21W Taillight/Rear Fog Lights (1 in each boot lid lamp housing),
2 x ?? Number plate lamp - not looked in there.

Note these are the codes stamped/printed on the bulb caps. Packaging often bears different codes as follows:-

RY10W:- RMU589 (also BAU15s which also appears on the packaging for PY21W bulbs so beware). It seems RMU589 are primarily m/cycle bulbs whereas PY21W are primarily car bulbs and BAU15s is a specification or standard that applies to both.
W16W:- 955
W21W:- 582

I generally found the handbook instructions on gaining access to be satisfactory. A few observations:-

1. The screw to remove the black blanking plate / front fog lamp housing to facilitate access to the front indicators takes both a flat bladed screwdriver and a T20 stardriver. The latter is much better when it comes to replacing the screw.
2. Don't tamper with the other screw accessible through the front fog lamp housing; it adjusts the fog lamp beam.
3. The black blanking plate / front fog lamp housing is difficult to get a purchase on to pull it out. It needs prising until the outside edge clears the bumper moulding so it can be pulled forward from that edge. I made use of the fog lamp aperture to do this. Do not pull it from the top as you will be fighting tongues on the bottom edge which slot quite deeply into the bumper moulding.
4. I found it easier to release the boot lid lamp housings and rear wing bulb holders before releasing their electrical connectors.
5. Apart from what I've said in 4 above follow the handbook precisely when removing & refitting the boot lid lamp housings. It may seem long-winded but it works.

I've found its worth having a dummy run like this so when it comes to the real thing at the roadside you have some confidence born of experience.