PDA

View Full Version : 80 coupe '95 sub frame bushes

fourringsrus
23-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi all, I'm very soon going to be replacing the lower wishbone bushes and anti roll bar bushes on the front of my coupe and have read that it is probably favourite to do the sub frame bushes while I'm there.
I recently changed all 4 shockers ,the strut top mount bearings, anti roll drop links,one outer c/v joint and one n/s/f wheel bearing so obviously I know how a spanner works but I need to pick some brains before I get stuck in.
I know what to expect with the lower wishbones as I've been there before but would like some info on the sub frame bush part of the job,ie; method of removal etc.
When the wish bones are free'd etc is it just a case of unbolting the sub frame or is there anything else fixed to it?
When I do the front bushes on the anti roll bar is it just a case of dis-connecting the drop links and then undo the clamps or will there be any other tension in the bar?
I also see Zollaf mention not fully tightening the sub frame bolts until the cars' weight is back on it's wheels to avoid damaging the bushes,so could any of you elaborate on this.
Many thanks in anticipation

Stuart
ps: '95 80 Coupe fwd manual 2.6
:beerchug::beerchug:

fourringsrus
23-03-2010, 10:12 PM
While I'm at it are there any bushes that may require attention at the rear end of the car,as I might as well go right through the rubber bits and have a nice tight set up?

Stuart

zollaf
03-04-2010, 08:28 AM
sorry for not replying sooner stuart, must have missed it. well once the wishbones and anti roll bar are disconnected, the subframe unbolts and drops out. i doubt the quattro is any different to mine, but have never done a quattro. the bushes are the usual type, like the wishbone bushes with metal sleeve, so require either pressing out, or drill the rubber several times and knock it out, them use a hacksaw to cut the outer. the new ones press in, or use a large hammer and suitable drift (socket). i used the solid ones on mine, available from ebay, and these just sit above and below the subframe and dont require any force. the subframe bolts are torqued up with the car in the air, since once positioned the subframe doesnt move. the wishbone bushes need to be torqued with the car on its wheels. if you torque the bolts with the wheels hanging, this locks the bush in that position, so the rubber will twist within the bush when you lower it. the bush will then always be twisted, and this will shorten its life. so if you loosesly fit the bolts, then lower it the car, this allows the centre metal bit of the bush to move, so the bush is in its natural position. then tighten the bushes after bouncing on the car to settle everything. i use a 2 post ramp and lower the car onto 4 large concrete blocks so i can get underneath. im not sure about the rear, but iirc its about the same as doing the front.

fourringsrus
05-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Many thanks zollaf, i shall let you know how i get on with it :)

cheers Stuart

fourringsrus
05-04-2010, 12:05 PM
also btw, any idea what the tourque settings are, and have I got you right in that the sub frame just bolts back to the car, can i accidentally bolt it back miss-alligned or will it go back to the same position ? PS. the car is not a quattro

thanks again

Stuart

fourringsrus
05-04-2010, 12:07 PM
sorry, one more, will it need tracking afterwards ?, my old age is catching up with me :( thanks ONCE again,
Stuart

scotty33
05-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Not done it mysel, but from what I read, the subframe has adjustment in that one of the bolts/nuts is fixed, the other three captive nuts have a range of movement, that allows the subframe to slew around slightly. An alignment might be advisable?

Haynes gives 26lbf/ft +90deg for the 'crossmember mounting bolts'

zollaf
05-04-2010, 09:01 PM
i dont remember any of the bolts on mine being moveable, in fact im sure there wernt any. some models may be different though. as yours isnt a quattro, then the back axle is a different matter altogether.

fourringsrus
06-04-2010, 09:40 PM
I think I'll tackle the rear end at another time, but does anybody else have any input on movable sub-frame anchor points?
Front sub-frame,front drive 2.6 coupe '95 'M' REG

Stuart

scotty33
07-04-2010, 02:10 AM
I suggest you find a way of marking the chassis and subframe in such a way that it can be refitted to it's original position, if the mountings are found to be adjustable? If it is not adjustable then nothing is lost.
As the bolts are stretch bolts you may want to renew them?

fourringsrus
07-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I was thinking the same