PDA

View Full Version : 99 Polo petrol cap stuck, central locking broke

vwhoch
21-02-2006, 10:22 PM
My car: 1999 VW Polo 1.4CL
Any idea if there is a manual override to opening the petrol filling cap? My central locking stopped working and so did the petrol cap. No obvious levers in the interior near the driver's area. I was also unable to find any rods near the cap from inside the boot (behind the upholstry).

kroml8r
01-03-2006, 09:01 AM
I have the same problem and was advised by VW that the central locking pump has failed. I am trying to find a solution short of replacing it (AU$600) but in the mean time you can open the petrol cap with a pair of long nosed pliers inserted into the crack and sliding the pin back. Then block the hole that it locks into to stop it happening again.

Have you found a better solution yet?

vwhoch
05-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I too have been told by VW that the problem is most likely the pump (min £300 fix). Another mechanic found a cable in the boot, very close to the petrol cap. To find the cable he first had to remove styrofoam insulation that sits up against the body. He then had to reach into a space that is back in behind a metal piece of the body frame, close to the filler neck. Pulling the cable did release the cap and since there is little pressure in the system, I am able to push the pin in and it stays back far enough to not relock. So I am using the car without a locked cap at the moment.

I guess my experience is that there is a manual override but it is very unhandy to use routinely and difficult to find.

kroml8r
07-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Well I eventually solved my problem by repairing the pump. The circuit board appeared to have moisture damage (corrosion). One of the bridge wires and two of the tracks were coroded through. I replaced the bridge wire and used more wire to replace the track sections. After cleaning the whole board thoroughly, I sealed it with a plasticote spray and re-installed it in the foam surround near the petrol cap.

All is good now and the doors are locking centrally again. A design issue I would say.

Good luck.

sculptex
16-05-2007, 04:16 PM
thanks for the tips guys.
just managed to get to that pin and pull it out myself. looks like I am gonna have to get a Haynes manual and locate that circuit board to see about replacing it.

berto
14-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Hi all,
Bought a 99 polo recently and it has a problem very similar to this. When i try and unlock from either the drivers door or the passengers door, it appears as though the door mechs work as they try and move, and the pin in the petrol cap moves slightly (I had it open so i could watch it). But it doesn't do enough to lock/unlock the doors. Is this likely to be a problem with the pump? I have checked the fuse and it looks ok. Or is it more likely to be an air leak in the system?

I haven't checked for an air leak yet, but i assume that i just put pressure on the line somehow and make sure it holds, or pull a vacuum and see if it locks the doors?

Any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated.

If it does require a replacement pump, are the air pumps interchangeable? mine has the part number
1ho 962 257 J, but i have seen one advertised 1ho 962 257 F

Assuming this is ok i will probably go with this.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can give on this problem.

EDIT: Should add i have had the air unit out, and there appears to be no corrosion etc. But haven't checked the pump operation in any way.

irishkiwi
20-03-2008, 08:05 AM
kroml8r - How did you get the circuit board out of the unit. I got the back off ok, but it seems to be held in by something. I see one small bolt, was that all?

Mine has the same problem as yours. That is it has been corroded by the liquid that ran in through the connector socket, may be washer liquid. Very poor design.

Thanks Chris

Well I eventually solved my problem by repairing the pump. The circuit board appeared to have moisture damage (corrosion). One of the bridge wires and two of the tracks were coroded through. I replaced the bridge wire and used more wire to replace the track sections. After cleaning the whole board thoroughly, I sealed it with a plasticote spray and re-installed it in the foam surround near the petrol cap.

All is good now and the doors are locking centrally again. A design issue I would say.

Good luck.

hball
22-08-2009, 06:20 PM
on my wife's V reg Polo we too have a corroded IC on it, and I am going to buy a new unit on ebay.

I see you questioned the part number and I wondered if you knew?

Mine is part number "1H0 962 257 F" - six pins

i see loads on ebay "1H0 962 257 J" - eight pins

do you know at all if I can just buy a "J" and use it?

Once again thanks

H

irishkiwi
24-08-2009, 01:07 AM
I got mine which was a MK3 GOLF CENTRAL LOCKING PUMP 1H0 962 257 G

From the Dub Shack in Coventry England. The guys were great, very helpful and the unit worked a treat first time!

Can't really comment on six pin verses eight pin without taking it out and having a look as I cannot remember what the "G" Rev was.

They said that they thought the last letter was just a revision number that should be backward compatitable, which was fine for me.

Good luck.