PDA

View Full Version : clocked mileage???

adam0502
23-03-2010, 12:31 AM

Crasher
23-03-2010, 12:38 AM
This is a problem with Golf’s, they hide their true mileage very easily and are shockingly easily to clock, it takes literally 5 minutes. I expect the MOT database is correct unless there is a sudden jump up of 100K in one year but I do not know if each year’s mileage is available. If you do not have a service book or previous MOT’s I would strongly suspect you have been conned, it is rife.

adam0502
23-03-2010, 12:47 AM

Jason.S
23-03-2010, 01:36 AM
I recently went to look at a car from a private seller.

Was about to do the deal when i did a spur of the moment HPi check and it turned out to have been clocked by 20K miles.

It doesnt matter how cheap a car is, GET IT CHECKED!!

mikeholroyd
23-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Get someone to plug a VAGCOM into the car, and read off the ECU mileage. This should tally within a few miles of what is shown on the clock. I would suspect most folk out there who are unscrupulous enough to clock mileages would only alterthe clocks, and not be aware that another record is kept in the car's ECU. Mike

Eshrules
23-03-2010, 09:13 AM
if you want to double check the reprint isn't erroneous, you can check the MOT history of a vehicle :

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECSID-Internet-Status-Request.jsp

Crasher
23-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Then hopefully it is a data entry error. I am not sure how you peruse this. What does the log book say the mileage should be or do you not have it yet?

martin1810
23-03-2010, 10:30 AM
This is going to be fun to put right...NOT. Ask any MOT inspector and they will tell you mistakes get made and it is a pain in the *rse to correct them when you are the one that made the mistake. Even more of a pain if the mistake needs mileage correcting downwards.
You will need to contact VOSA with all the info you have. If you can show that the mileage change is more likely a mistake compared to the history that you have, they may alter it. Your main problem will be getting hold of a human being at VOSA.

turbine2
24-03-2010, 09:56 AM
This is where the Data Protection Act is your friend. The Data Protection Act places a statutatory duty on the holder to the data to maintain correct records. If there is an incorrect data on the record then the holder of the data (VOSA) has to correct it once pointed out. If you get the run around then write to "The Data Protection Officer" at the address and give them a time limit to sort it out (usually 28 days). If you get no response then the Data Commissioner is the one to go to as they have the power to enforce the law. Yes, you'll need to make presentations as to why the data is incorrect, but from what you're saying you have that evidence through the MOTs.

Crasher
24-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Please keep us posted on this, I would be interested to hear what happens.

adam0502
24-03-2010, 10:55 PM

Crasher
25-03-2010, 10:13 AM
The main dealer cannot alter the mileage without replacing the cluster, you will have to find someone who will “adjust” it for you. I would alter it to the correct higher mileage for you if you were closer. I think you should peruse the piece of scum who did this to you but I am not sure how you will go about it. Presumably he was a private seller.

adam0502
25-03-2010, 09:51 PM

Crasher
25-03-2010, 11:47 PM
He sounds like a real idiot, I hope something unpleasant catches up with him one day but slippery little knobs like that tend to get away with it, they really do not give a toss about who they hurt.