PDA

View Full Version : Car waxes/ polishes

benzo_26
22-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Hi all

I was chating to a guy in work the other day who bought a Carnuba car polish from Japan I can't remeber its name). I have to say I saw his car with this polish applied and the water was beading very nicely on it, however I read a few reviews online about it and it didn't get great reviews for the actual shine it put onto the car. Anyway... has any body got any thoughts on a good product on the market at the moment that will give a great shine. I would be keen to avoid traditional white powdery types of polish/wax. I am currently using Turtle Wax Liquid Ice which is fine but I want something better and don't mind spending the money on it.

Gerryf
22-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Imho you're already using a premium product Benzo.

This detailing site may help you decide :

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Keithuk
22-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Many years ago I used to use Turtle-Wax because I like to cover the car in wax then polish it off as it dries very quick. I bought some one time and covered the car then I tried to polish it off, it would hardly move. It took me 3 hour just to polish it of so I've never bought any since.

Now I had the AutoGlym Lifeshine package so I'm not trying to promote that but since Turtle-Wax I've always used AutoGlym Super Resin. You cover the car then polish it off. I've found that it will easily last 12 months and even when it rains its still cover in the water drops so the wax it still there. When you have the AutoGlym Lifeshine package they just you a small holdhaul with more products in there. There is Super Resin and Extra Gloss but I haven't tried them yet.

I was in Halfords a few weeks ago getting some rubber mats and I had a look at the AutoGlym products. It appears they do loads of different named waxes, Super Resin, Extra Gloss and Ultra Deep Shine. The High Definition wax is the most expensive at £39.99 150g Halfords (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=autoglym&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1). The Lifeshine holdhauls are in Halfords for £39.99.

Now going back many years when I was a kid my father asked me to wax and polish our old Morris Oxford which was black. So I get the Simoniz car polish and covered the car. I waited for an hour until it had dried then I tried to polish it off, again it wouldn't move just like the Turtle-Wax. When my father came home and I was still polishing he said what have you done. I said covered the car in wax now I'm trying to polish it off. You fool didn't you read the tin? You cover about a 6 inch square patch then polish it off straight away else it drys and you can never get it off. :rant:

Just Googling for Simoniz it brought up a Car polishes and waxes review (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/55103/car_polishes_and_waxes.html) ;)

dataconn
22-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Also check Golf Protection ...

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=94751

moe360
23-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Many years ago I used to use Turtle-Wax because I like to cover the car in wax then polish it off as it dries very quick. I bought some one time and covered the car then I tried to polish it off, it would hardly move. It took me 3 hour just to polish it of so I've never bought any since.

Now I had the AutoGlym Lifeshine package so I'm not trying to promote that but since Turtle-Wax I've always used AutoGlym Super Resin. You cover the car then polish it off. I've found that it will easily last 12 months and even when it rains its still cover in the water drops so the wax it still there. When you have the AutoGlym Lifeshine package they just you a small holdhaul with more products in there. There is Super Resin and Extra Gloss but I haven't tried them yet.

I was in Halfords a few weeks ago getting some rubber mats and I had a look at the AutoGlym products. It appears they do loads of different named waxes, Super Resin, Extra Gloss and Ultra Deep Shine. The High Definition wax is the most expensive at £39.99 150g Halfords (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=autoglym&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1). The Lifeshine holdhauls are in Halfords for £39.99.

Now going back many years when I was a kid my father asked me to wax and polish our old Morris Oxford which was black. So I get the Simoniz car polish and covered the car. I waited for an hour until it had dried then I tried to polish it off, again it wouldn't move just like the Turtle-Wax. When my father came home and I was still polishing he said what have you done. I said covered the car in wax now I'm trying to polish it off. You fool didn't you read the tin? You cover about a 6 inch square patch then polish it off straight away else it drys and you can never get it off. :rant:

Just Googling for Simoniz it brought up a Car polishes and waxes review (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/55103/car_polishes_and_waxes.html) ;)

I use turtle wax and it is easy to apply and remove , I use a set of buffing pads from halfords works great with the turtle wax, How much did you put on to the body ?

percymon
23-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Whats your budget ? Bear in mind a lot of the final look is down to the preparation prior to the wax application.

Gave up on Autoglym years ago - tyre shine and bumper gel last a few washes at best, the super resin polish and extra gloss protection stopped what i described as water beading after a few washes too.

This one is Collinite 915 - well prep'd paint work, great beading...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/redloop/Beading.jpg

and collinte 476...

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q373/GadgetMan1983/ColliniteBeadingpics014.jpg

and fk1000p ...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/ryanuk23/P1020866.jpg

Keithuk
23-03-2010, 03:15 PM
How much did you put on to the body ?
As I said before that episode I've been using Turtle-Wax for years. I only apply a normal covering coat I don't plaster it on. ;)

Update
I was browsing the well know part catalogue that we don't talk about on here and there are 5800+ pictures of accessories listed including car cleaning. Now most of the ones that are labelled say Sonax if you Google it you will see what they make. There are also a few VW labelled products as well.

benzo_26
24-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Imho you're already using a premium product Benzo.

Yea it is good, and with the liquid ice shampoo it does create a good shine, just wondering if it could go better. Cheers for the link.

benzo_26
24-03-2010, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=Keithuk;496692]Many years ago I used to use Turtle-Wax because I like to cover the car in wax then polish it off as it dries very quick. I bought some one time and covered the car then I tried to polish it off, it would hardly move. It took me 3 hour just to polish it of so I've never bought any since.

Thanks for the advice, great story btw, made me laugh. sounds like something I would have done as a kid...:biglaugh:

benzo_26
24-03-2010, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=percymon;496829]Whats your budget ? Bear in mind a lot of the final look is down to the preparation prior to the wax application.

Gave up on Autoglym years ago - tyre shine and bumper gel last a few washes at best, the super resin polish and extra gloss protection stopped what i described as water beading after a few washes too.

Many thanks for the pics, its a good look. I guess as you say its not just the wax that gives that final look. I would be willing to spend about £3-40 on a product if I knew it was going to be good.

Talking about tyre shine, I got some fab stuff from that very popular auction site- its local to n. ire I must get the name of it and post it, I found it works very well and has good lastability....

Keithuk
24-03-2010, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=percymon;496829]

I've used AutoGlym bumper gel I think thats what its called on my Rover 216 as that had the gray plastic bumbers. It look great after you have done it but it doesn't last the next wash washes it off.

As your tyre shine I can't say that I've tried that. I think the tyre paint is too obvious as the tyres look shiny afterwards. What I've used it tre dressing that you just paint on the tyres its very thin and it covers all marks and doesn't leave any streaks, again it doesn't last it just washes off. It would be ideal for showroom cars though.

As I've said my AutoGlym Super Resin is great it WILL last for 12 months not a few washes. ;)

percymon
24-03-2010, 10:27 PM
As I've said my AutoGlym Super Resin is great it WILL last for 12 months not a few washes. ;)

all depends onthe environment and use the car gets, I could only ever get it to bead water like those pics above once freshly applied. A few washes later and the beads were less defined and bigger. At that stage I consider it needing rewaxing so I was doing my car every 3 weeks

HHGTTG
25-03-2010, 12:03 AM
all depends onthe environment and use the car gets, I could only ever get it to bead water like those pics above once freshly applied. A few washes later and the beads were less defined and bigger. At that stage I consider it needing rewaxing so I was doing my car every 3 weeks
I agree with you about AutoGlym's SRP. It seems fine, initially, but its beading is short lived.

I am now old and lazy and have bought a quick spray-on an wipe off polish by Turtle Wax based on their so-called 'Super Nano Technology' and so far its beading properties seem better and it application is easy as is the wipe-off without any whitish powder.
Anyways, with Reflex Silver you don't need to be too particular - thank goodness; I already spend far too much time cleaning my car.