PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioner, not cold, auto and econ indicator on

pluggy
25-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Hoping someone has some advice

Recently purchased a 2002 Audi A4 Avant 2.0, great car, all works well except aircon never gets cold.

I have read a number of aircon related issues in this forum, I'm hoping it just needs regassing.

My MAIN concern is that I expect the "ECON" indicator to go off when I hit the "AUTO" button. Auto and Econ indicators are always on, is this normal? (Read the manual, appears it should work the same as my Bora, Aircon should either be on AUTO or ECON).

Thanks in advance for any helpful/useful pointers.

Plug

MalcQV
25-05-2007, 08:33 AM
The Passat (which I have) is different, it is a digital readout saying "AUTO" or "ECON". They are definitely not on at the same time on mine.

Logically it makes no sense for AUTO and ECON to be on together so I am guessing a fault, of which you already know :(.

Welcome BTW.

spainy
25-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I had similar problem when I first purchased my 2003 avant. There a few causes most common seems to be high pressure switch failure (This was my problem) This is easy to change as you just remove the passenger headlight and it screws into the air con condenser (looks like a second radiator. ) I believe the switch is about £40 from audi. secondly it could be low gas a recharge is about £60. The last thing I did look at was a faulty control unit but found a company local to me called BBA Reman will recondition the unit for £100 and give a two year warranty. I would be careful who you get to check it as I have read stories of air con experts! Recommending compressor charges for the pressure switch problem! Find a garage you can trust or if you are going to change the switch your self do a search as I am sure i read a description on how to change it.

RickT
25-05-2007, 02:33 PM
i would start with a re-gas as these do leak over time.. i had mine done last summer..

also the high p sensor is common as well..

start by a regas as you will need to do that anyway more than likley and take it from there..

in regards to the ECON going off when you press AUTO.. i will let you know as im nipping out to the shop in 15 mins

RickT

RickT
25-05-2007, 03:01 PM
right..

if you have ECON on.. and then press AUTO.. ECON goes off..

BUT... if you already have AUTO on you can still press ECON turning the air con on or off while using auto... (ie using cold air outside the best it can)

RickT

nickynibbles
25-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Before I had my A4 re-gassed recently the ECON light wouldnt go off. Now its re-gasssed it does go out if I press the button whilst on AUTO. I put it down to the system knowing its not able to work 100% so sticks in ECON mode permantly to do its best!

raking08
29-07-2007, 03:10 AM
in my case, I hav eplenty of gas, I replaced the switch which helped only a little. The econ light once it comes on, will not go off unless switch off the car, then when I switch back on it will be off for a bit. The problem is much worse when the temp is over 90F. Could this me an issue with some other switch?:confused:
I cannot imagine Aud designed the A/C to not work when its really hot:zx11:.

Does anyone have any ideas?

miniredcooper
13-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Hi raking08
what switch did you replace? Was it the thrust sensor in the front mounted condensor radiator (part number of thrust sensor/pressure switch 8E0 959 126)?

LeanAngle
31-10-2007, 04:18 PM
in my case, I hav eplenty of gas, I replaced the switch which helped only a little. The econ light once it comes on, will not go off unless switch off the car, then when I switch back on it will be off for a bit. The problem is much worse when the temp is over 90F. Could this me an issue with some other switch?:confused:
I cannot imagine Aud designed the A/C to not work when its really hot:zx11:.

Does anyone have any ideas?

This is exactly the problem I'm having!

Did you ever find the problem?

It's been maddening! My dealer has taken me for $1500 and the car is still broke. Now I'm still trying to fix the problem and I'm dealing with a law suit against the dealer.

danclyon
19-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I had something similar to this on a Volvo V70. It was the tension of the belt driving the AC compressor. It wasn't tight enough so when the electronic clutch clicked in the belt was catching the compressor pump but slipping. The cars AC did all sorts of wierd things but certainly didn't get cold when it got over about 25 degrees outside. Was a sod of a job on the Volvo - Audi might be easier. HTH - might be a red herring but you never know!!

Thanks,
Dan.

LeanAngle
19-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Update: I think its fixed.....maybe :laughing

I actually spoke to ranking08 via email, and he told me the things he had done to resolve the problem. The issue was that the way the mechanic did things it could have been one of two possible solutions.

ranking08 replaced his high pressure sensor (thrust sesnor) and still had the problem persist, Then the mechanic ran diagnostics, and recharged the system. Apparently it was overcharged before. So he wasn't sure if they diagnostics reset something with the sensor, of if it was the charge level that was the culpret.

I was already suspecting the pressure sensor, and had ordered it. So I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, its practically winter now. We did get a nice 60 degree day last week, so I did a test.

I bought an indoor outdoor thermometer with the probe for outdoor temp. I set the main unit on the center armrest and inserted the probe into the center vent. Set the AC to low and let the car run for about 15 minutes.

Ambient Temp: 58 degrees
Cabin Temp: 57 degrees
Vent Temp: 51 degrees

Then I switched out the sensors and after 10 minutes got the following readings:

Ambient Temp: 58 degrees
Cabin Temp: 51 degrees
Vent Temp: 48 degrees

So I think its fixed, but I guess I won't know for sure until next spring/summer. I was pleased to see the cabin temp drop substancially, but was kind suprised the vent temp only went down by 3 degrees.

HChaloner
29-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi,

I just wanted to share my recent experience having got a steer (no pun intended) from this forum.

I too had the ECON light come up on my 2002 A4. Took it into a local garage who had the VAG lead and software (with me already guessing it was the high pressure sensor) - they run the diagnostics which came up with 2 faults (cost me £20). 1 fault being the HPS the other being a fault on the brake light switch. Garage didn't want to change the HPS without a check being done on the a/c circuits. I have had the car from new and I can't remember ever getting the a/c serviced. Anyway, I got that done (approx £60) - 70g of refrigerant was in it as opposed to 510g!
After that the light hadn't gone out so must have been the HPS. Audi quoted £42 and that has been put in now and the ECON light has gone out.

What is interesting is that when a phoned another local Audi parts department, when I asked for a HPS they asked me back "do you have the ECON light coming on and staying on?" - so I guess this is a common problem in Audi.

Hope this helps anyone else.

miniredcooper
29-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Glad you got it sorted out on your car.

I'm sure they (Audi) must know about it - going by the number of threads on this and other forums outlining the same problem. Although sounds like a decent parts dept if they are asking you if that is the problem.

:beerchug: