PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure light, part 2

e6m6a6
25-05-2007, 08:11 AM
when my engine is running and reved for longer then 3 seconds or so an oil pressure lamp appears with a siren, it will idle smoothy for as long as i want but as soon i put a few revs on it does not like it

i had a few replies last time saying is the oil over filled, well it has now been changed and with new filter and at a good level. i have eliminated a few things said in the haynes manual, but i dont have the slighest clue were to look for this oil pressure relife vavle? and it also says about wore engine bearing and or oil pump, well there is no abnormal noises like a wore bearing but im in the dark about the pump as it cant be herd?

how can i put my finger on the problem without going to garage to get a pressure test?

any help would be great :biglaugh:

thanks

S2AVANT
25-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Take the sump off and clean the oil pickup or replace it. Common problem I had it on my MK1 Gti, and they still do it now.

e6m6a6
25-05-2007, 05:36 PM
i shall have a go, the oil i tuke out was thick as butter so yeah sounds like a likly problem, its not that much of a bigger job is it? the only thing i know about taking sumps off that the down pipe has to come off aswell, just please let that be the hardest bit

S2AVANT
25-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Check for clearance between the sump and the gearbox for your sockets or you will be stuck. It was tight on the mk1. Not 100% familiar with your setup.
Best to check.

e6m6a6
25-05-2007, 06:21 PM
:biglaugh: thank you!