PDA

View Full Version : Infrequent false alarms

MA6BUSA
24-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I have owned my 2001 A6 2.8 quattro for about 6 weeks. Every once in awhile the factory alarm sounds for no apparent reason. Normal stuff, 4way flashers lit and horn sounds. After a little bit, maybe 15 or so seconds the horn no longer sounds but 4 ways still flash. This is definitely infrequent in occurence. Each time the four doors and boot were closed completely, windows were open slightly, maybe an inch or so and sunroof was in the vent/tilt position. Any help would be appreciated. i did check the fuse and it appears to be fine.

add
After further inspection, the falses are only happening during daylight and when it is parked in direct sunlight.....

melecerties
01-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum but have had the same problem as you. To prevent the random alarms you can close the windows and sunroof, which should prevent any more alarms.

If you look on the drivers door pillar, the B post, you should find a small push button with a LED indicator. Press this this button for a few seconds, the LED will light and this will disable the ultrasonic movement sensor. This will also stop the alarms and allow you to leave the windows wide open - if you wish.

The movement sensor will automatically reset on the next setting of the alarm.

HTH

Geoff

MA6BUSA
01-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks, I like a great number of you sat down the first night I brought the car home and read the owners manual cover to cover. To add insult, I used to be an Audi certified Sales consultant in the late 90's. Anyways, I tried using the defeat button on the door pillar to no avail. I am thinking that there is something amiss in the alarm sensors or something associated. I;'ll post up when I figure it out.

melecerties
01-06-2007, 05:26 PM
OK, does your 'little button' have the indicator LED and does it light up? It is difficult to see in the sun!

It is my understanding that if the LED is lit, then it should be in the 'no movement sernsor' mode.

I found that if you kept the button pressed for more than a few seconds, the LED cycled.

The proof or otherwise comes when you arm the alarm, and the door LEDS flash fast, then remain off for 30 second before flashing slowly.

At least, that is how it works on my 2002 A6 (C5) Avant. I had a Citroen Zantia before that, and I could never get the alarm to dis-arm on that.

Geoff

MA6BUSA
01-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I held the button down until it illuminated. I don't remember if the door lock nub flashed or not??? I'll give that a try.

buster
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I held the button down until it illuminated. I don't remember if the door lock nub flashed or not??? I'll give that a try.

The interior button only turns off the internal sensors, so that you can leave an animal in the car without it setting off the alarm.

It does not turn off the whole alarm.

I had this with my old car for about 6 months, drove me and Poole Audi mad!

The fault with my car was that there was an actuator in the tailgate which was sticking. The car obvioulsy sensed the pressure on it, because it was tight, and thought it was being prised open. Hence, the alarm went off.

I took the cover off the tail gate, sprayed the whole thing with silicone spray and it stopped happening for a few months.

It could be a door actuator, boot lid, or many other things.

Also, the battery in the alarm can go dead, causing the alarm to think someone had disconnected it.

Hope this helps.