PDA

View Full Version : 1.9TD or 2.0TD???

Wonder Mike
18-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi guys! I've only just joined and was hoping I could get some points of view from some of you.

I'm looking to buy a people carrier. The new-shape Galaxy would be my first preference, but for the money I'm willing to part with (as it will just be the 2nd run-around car) they are out of my price range.

So I'm considering the older-shape Galaxy, the Sharan and the Alhambra.

Accross the range of all 3 cars it would appear that the 1.9TD can come as either 90PS, 115PS, 130PS or 150PS (150PS ONLY being available on the Galaxy and 90PS NOT being available on the Alhambra). Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. But whatever I get, I'm planning to get it chipped for better fuel economy and more power, but my first question is this:

1) Are all power variants of the 1.9TD engine exactly the same except for the fuel/turbo mapping??? In other words, if you took a 90PS and a 150PS and chipped them both are they likely to produce the same amount of power as each other after chipping? OR are there some mechanical parts that are different between the different power variants that contributes towards the differences in power output???

I have noticed that some of the later Sharans and Alhambras come with a 2.0TD 140PS engine. My second consideration is this:

2) A friend of mine used to have a 1.9TD Audi A4 but chopped it in for a newer 2.0TD Audi A4 but complained about the fuel economy not being as good as it used to be on the 1.9TD. I'm assuming the 1.9TD and 2.0TD engines in the Audi A4 are exactly the same (respectfuly) as the 1.9TD and 2.0TD engines in the Sharan/Alhambra??? If so, do you think this claim of poorer fuel economy on the 2.0TD is generally substantiated??? Or do most people feel it is better fuel economy on the 2.0TD???

Also, what are peoples thoughts on the differences between the 1.9TD and the 2.0TD in terms of reliability / cost of spare parts / availability of parts / maintenance costs etc.???

And finally, do you guys think I'm more likely to get better fuel economy and/or more power out of a chipped 2.0TD as opposed to a chipped 1.9TD???

Any thoughts? All comments welcome!!!

Thank in advance for your input guys!

towcestervag
19-03-2010, 02:05 AM
1/ no they are different
2/ fuel economy is worse on 2.0
3/ i would get the 1.9 as more reliable and easier to do work on
130 bhp is best allround unit in my opinion

Wonder Mike
19-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Also the 1.9 150PS seems to be few and far between accross the range of all three cars.

Hex69
19-03-2010, 02:35 PM
1/ no they are different
2/ fuel economy is worse on 2.0
3/ i would get the 1.9 as more reliable and easier to do work on
130 bhp is best allround unit in my opinion

seconded. :D

mscnoe
04-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Hi Mike. I had a 90ps Galaxy for 11 years and apart from having to have the injector pump rebuilt after it part failed (limped home) in France at about 80,000 miles it was pretty good - never failed an MOT, original clutch, shocks, exhaust at 140,000 miles. Now have Alhambra with 140ps/ 2.0 tdi engine - feel a bit helpless as there is nothing you can do with the engine yourself. Its just 3 years old and 52000 miles get around 36mpg same as the Galaxy was but travelling faster (!) especially uphill with the family in. The 140 is great for torque and relaxed cruising (6 speed/ 30mph per 1000rpm) but has always had a hiccup if you touch the clutch pedal while accelerating - Seat have not been able to find it - convinced its the engine management as it will occasionally stall for no apparent reason. Now its out of warranty considering having it chipped for economy - though I did bumble back from Birmingham last week gently and saw 46mpg indicated on trip computer - that might be 40 - 42 in real terms. At the end of the day it depends on your right foot - enjoy the torque and acceleration, pay at the pump - sit back and enjoy the middle and inside lanes and get a few more miles between fill-ups. BTW I looked at but didn't go for the new shape Galaxy with floor-flat seats as I didn't think the trim used would last 10 years!!