PDA

View Full Version : diagnostic tool advice wanted

kateb
18-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Hi
I would like one of the handheld gadgets that you can plug in to diagnose/reset problems on our vehicles,
we have a golf mk4, transporter t5 and a skoda fabia 1.
I only want something cheap and easy to use, currently have heater coil light on skoda flashing so would like to check that out.
I have looked on ebay, but so much stuff available I dont know where to start.
So if someone could suggest what I search for, a make, and rough price to expect to pay i would be grateful

thanks a million

Kate

zollaf
18-03-2010, 04:24 PM
i would just go for vag com. the problem with the cheap handheld jobbies is that they usually only read obd codes, so if your fault doesnt come up with an obd code then your stuffed. to get something that will do most cars properly,i.e.obd and manufacturers codes, then you start around the 5 grand mark. vag com (vcds) will do vag cars properly and is a lot cheaper, but only of use on vag and nothing else.

kateb
18-03-2010, 08:49 PM
You are talking in code! what does all that mean?
:confused:

martin1810
18-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi
I would like one of the handheld gadgets that you can plug in to diagnose/reset problems on our vehicles,
I only want something cheap and easy to use, currently have heater coil light on skoda flashing so would like to check that out.
So if someone could suggest what I search for, a make, and rough price to expect to pay i would be grateful

thanks a million

Kate

If your cars are all pre 2005 and you have a laptop. Contact gendan or ilexa. They will sell you a cable adapter for about £20. You can download free vag-com software from ross-tech.com. This works on the laptop with the cable connected to the car. You will be able to read and clear most codes. Ebay cables are cheaper but gendan and ilexa give you someone to contact if you have problems setting it up.

sps
12-04-2010, 09:05 PM
you could go for an AUTEL brand VAG405 scan tool-very good for vag cars and would cost you about 60 quid from ebay or cheaper on amazon for 55 quid.
your coil light flashing-could be the following_

blown rear brake light bulbs-both of them and if you have a third high level brake light on the rear screen-and all three do not work when you depress the brake pedal-then you could be a dealing with a faulty brake light switch.

Hi

thanks a million

Kate