PDA

View Full Version : how to drain the radiator

jackg
17-03-2010, 04:30 PM
1996 1.9TDi saloon.
There is a very slow water leak from the joint between the cylinder head and the plastic flange which takes water from the head to the heater.
This is on the RHS of the engine as you look at it.
The mechanic advised to remove the flange and clean it up and hopefully the O ring will be ok to reuse. Also said to use silicon jointing compound.

So I assume I need to drain the rad before I remove the 2off 10mm nuts which hold the flange in place.

Assuming this is so what is the best way to drain the rad?

Removing the clip that secures the bottom hose in place is difficult unless it is on a ramp or axle stands.
To access the clip you need to get under the car and to be able to see the clip which I can't with the car on its wheels.
Is there a drain plug anywhere?

I do have axle stands but I thought I'd ask on here first.

zollaf
17-03-2010, 04:49 PM
if you intend to do a full on coolant change, you will need to get to the bottom hose. if however you just want to sort the leak then just undo the plastic union and let the coolant flow out. then squeeze the top hose to pump a bit more cooalnt out and the level should be below the level of the flange. i would advise getting a new flange as they warp over time, and obviously use a new o' ring. silicone will work as a temporary measure.

jackg
17-03-2010, 04:59 PM
thanks you, that is what I wanted to know.
I'll see if I can get a new union and do it the way you suggest.

jackg
18-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I got the part and replaced the old union. The O ring was flat and starting to erode a little.
Fiddly job to remove the bracket with the elctrics and the fuel line bracket.
I removed the two air intake hoses for the turbo to get access.
Seems to have done the trick.

zollaf
22-03-2010, 11:57 AM
a job done well then, and shouldnt need doing again, not for a few years anyway. :beerchug: