PDA

View Full Version : Clutch on its way out?

trevtherev
17-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Passat 1.9 TDi 2001 diesel 130 BHP AVF FRK
97 000 miles

Four or five time recently I've found the rev needle shooting up out of sync with speedo - typically under full acceleration in fourth gear. Could this be anything other than a worn clutch?

I'm not heavy on clutches. My first Renault 5 original clutch was still going strong when I retired the car at 250K, however I didn't get the Passat until it had done 56K and have done some towing, however the towing was over a year ago so I'm surprised to find the clutch apparently going now.

PeteK
17-03-2010, 02:14 PM
It does sound like the clutch is worn out i'm afraid, I take it your foot is fully off the pedal when it happens? My car is just coming up to 150k miles on the original clutch with no issues despite being remapped; like yourself I am very light on clutches. I think it all depends on how the previous owners have treated the car.

trevtherev
17-03-2010, 02:44 PM
It does sound like the clutch is worn out i'm afraid, I take it your foot is fully off the pedal when it happens?

Oh yes certainly. I may be an idiot but not that bad http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

My car is just coming up to 150k miles on the original clutch with no issues despite being remapped; like yourself I am very light on clutches. I think it all depends on how the previous owners have treated the car.

Yes I suspect he is of the old school - those who were taught to use the clutch as a brake.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't keep using the car - with care - until this gets more noticeable or is it best to do the job asap?

martin1810
17-03-2010, 05:18 PM
As you will have to replace the complete clutch and flywheel It doesn't really matter if you completely wear this one out...BUT...where do you want to be stuck when it finally fails.

Jamiem
17-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Is it a must to replace the flywheel aswell then? Just out of curiosity...

martin1810
17-03-2010, 09:00 PM
As the cost is about 60% labour you will be sick if you don't replace the Dual mass flywheel and it goes a few months later and the job has to be done again.

Jamiem
17-03-2010, 09:16 PM
ah ok, yeah I understand :) Do you know a rough cost in parts for a clutch and flywheel for the 130tdi? cheers :)

Monkey117SE
17-03-2010, 09:25 PM
The cost for a clutch and flywheel on my old 130 tdi golf came in at £960

Not a cheap exercise unfortunately!.

Jamiem
17-03-2010, 10:06 PM
sweet jesus, wish I hadnt asked!!!

cazyp
18-03-2010, 12:06 AM
GSF without trade discount.
Dual mass flywheel £261, clutch kit £114. (I think thats your one..)
Give them a ring and your number plate and they'll give you a price. ;)

Then comes fitting.. not hard if you've done one before - just watch trapping an oil return feed pipe on re-assembly at the rear of the engine - hard to see without a mirror.

trevtherev
18-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the warning about the oil pipe, and the prices cazyp. I've done Renault 4s and Volvo 340 before and intend to give this a go.

I'm tempted not to replace the flywheel - will at least wait to see what its like before ordering anything. I've asked murraysdirect for a price.

cazyp
18-03-2010, 09:27 AM
It is tempting to not replace the DMF BUT they always seem to follow shortly after..
There are aftermarket solid flywheels available but I know nothing about them other than you're bound to get the vibration transfer that the DMF is designed to stop.

stonedagain
18-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Also, be careful not to damage the end of the clutch fluid pipe, the part on the end which pushes into the slave cylinder. It's made from aluminium & is very soft. My clutch had been replaced shortly before I bought my car, a few months later it was leaking fluid from where the pipe enters the slave cylinder. On disassembly, I found a deep gouge in the alminium part of the pipe, & the O-ring which seals the pipe into the slave was also damaged. The O-ring is not replaceable, so it cost me £65 for a new slave cylinder. Also, the aluminium part of the pipe can't be bought separately, you have to buy the complete pipe which cost me another £60! The nature of the damage to the end of the pipe suggested that the pipe may have been nipped between the engine & the bellhousing at some point during reassembly.

trevtherev
18-03-2010, 12:55 PM
It is tempting to not replace the DMF BUT they always seem to follow shortly after..

in that case I suppose it would be a false economy not to change it - but what usually happens when the DMF goes? Will I be able to assess potential miles left in it by looking at it?

trevtherev
18-03-2010, 05:53 PM
The cost for a clutch and flywheel on my old 130 tdi golf came in at £960

Not a cheap exercise unfortunately!.

Was that from VW? or includes labour perhaps?

I've just been quoted £352.51 (inc v and carriage) for Dual Mass Flywheel (Sachs or LUK) plus clutch kit (pressure plate, friction plate and thrust bearing) (from murraysdirect.co.uk)

Its still a lot - not long since I bought a car with long MOT for £350!

I've yet to get a quote from VW. Their price was actually better than murraysdirect for full set of brake pads and disks - and the garage is usually happy to courier the stuff to me (Benfield Morpeth)

passat tdi130
18-03-2010, 06:06 PM
thats a good price that mate..!!! if its all luk parts...!!

vw price forget it i was quoted £1275 for a job done complete kit ( luk )

a local garge told me £630 ish..!!

my 130tdi sport estate has done 173,000 miles now its a taxi and still on its original clutch from new..!!

i never ride my clutch due to my dad taking me for driving lessons all them years ago evertime i rode the clutch or even left my foot on the pedal he would jb a pen in my knee..!! ( still have the holes to prove it...lol )

sometimes i gear down on slowing sometimes i dont it depends what speeds i have been doing..!!

Monkey117SE
18-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Was that from VW? or includes labour perhaps?

I've just been quoted £352.51 (inc v and carriage) for Dual Mass Flywheel (Sachs or LUK) plus clutch kit (pressure plate, friction plate and thrust bearing) (from murraysdirect.co.uk)

Its still a lot - not long since I bought a car with long MOT for £350!

I've yet to get a quote from VW. Their price was actually better than murraysdirect for full set of brake pads and disks - and the garage is usually happy to courier the stuff to me (Benfield Morpeth)

Oh yea that £960 included labour, that was the total price for the job. That wasfrom a skoda dealers, not VW, as the skoda garages labour price was about 15 - 20 quid per hour cheaper

court
24-03-2010, 06:55 PM
My clutch is also slipping in 4th around 2500rpm. I can do motorway speed fine I'm just going to keep the rev's down and drive sensible. I've done some small work on my cars but never a clutch. How hard is it to take it apart, I've looked through my haynes manual and it seems straight forward just ALOT of parts to dissemble. Also I'd have to do it on my driveway so is there enough clearance underneath. My jack has a bout 500mm lift(i think).

I don't mind getting my hands dirty to save garage costs. But if it's best to get it done by a garage then thats what I'll do.

cazyp
25-03-2010, 12:27 AM
My clutch is also slipping in 4th around 2500rpm. I can do motorway speed fine I'm just going to keep the rev's down and drive sensible. I've done some small work on my cars but never a clutch. How hard is it to take it apart, I've looked through my haynes manual and it seems straight forward just ALOT of parts to dissemble. Also I'd have to do it on my driveway so is there enough clearance underneath. My jack has a bout 500mm lift(i think).

I don't mind getting my hands dirty to save garage costs. But if it's best to get it done by a garage then thats what I'll do.

'Easy' to do - just nuts and bolts really but i'd only ever do it on a ramp..