PDA

View Full Version : weird Golf central locking problem!

daft
21-02-2006, 03:18 PM
hi guys

Newbie here. Got a weird problem with my Golf central locking.

Put my car in to a (local, non-VW but usually reliable) garage to get the timing belt done (60k miles) and a leaking power steering pipe replaced.
Timing belt was done no problem. Got the PS pipe done separately last week. All seemed ok, except that the battery must have been disconnected as the clock was about 7 hours out.

THEN realised when I got home that the central locking was playing up. Basically when I click once, the driver door unlocks, but the second click no longer opens the other doors. You can see the locks jump, as if they're trying to open, but can't quite do it. Same happens when you try unlocking using the key in the door.Very weird.

I put 2 & 2 together and figured something might have gone wrong with the electrics (since the clock was out when i got the car back) - phoned a VW spares place today to get a price for a new central locking unit\pump\motor as the garage have said they will try to fix it for me but would need to get a price for the parts.

NOW is the interesting part. The guy at the VW spares place told me he'd had the same problem before and it was nothing to do with the central locking parts. Apparently there is a round part inside the driver's door that, if broken, means the central locking won't work.
Anyone heard of anything like this before?
Thanks in advance for any insight you can give :)

stuart
21-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi

What year is the Golf?

Only thing I can think of, is what they call the "paddle" these were common to break, these fit from the back of the key barrel, and slot into the lock.

If it is this, they only cost a couple of pounds to buy

Stuart

daft
21-02-2006, 04:03 PM
thanks Stuart - that could well be it, he did mention something about a paddle!

so are the doors easy enough to open up and have a look?

it's a 2003 GT TDI (130)

absolutely love the car but it's cost a fair bit lately with the timing belt and the power steering pipe etc, the wife is starting to grumble about cost but there's no way i can give this car up so i have to get this fixed cheaply! :D

stuart
21-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Just had a look at the picture of the door handle, it appears to come complete with the door barrel on the MkIV Golf :( on older MkIII Golfs they were seperate.

Just a thought, the central locking mechanisms are part of the door locks (in the end of the door), I do know these are a common fault with Golfs, and Passats, so that may be worth a look.

To see the back of the lock etc just remove the door trim and window glass mechanism

Stuart