PDA

View Full Version : Engine Juddering / Too Hot

shahabudeen
23-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Experts - please help

just had car serviced; replaced air,oil and fuel filters. fitted new spark plugs and coolant temperature sensor.

recently when i was driving the car started juddering as if it was running out of fuel. the car would just not move. i opened up the bonnet and it was extremelyhot. the bit behind the MAF sensor, i think its the lambda unit was glowing red (belive its the cat) and the engine was juddering. 2 of the spark plug housing had popped out.

any ideas what it could be. engine management light was flashing, so hooked it up to VAG com

it found the following faults

- Random / multiple cylinder Misfire detected : p0300
-cylinder 2 misfires p0302
-sporadic 001-upper limit exceeded

mass air flow meter signal too low

just had MAF replaced recently as well

Help Appreciated

Cheeers:beerchug:

Lex Luthor
23-05-2007, 10:24 PM
2 of the spark plug housing had popped out

Surely that would cause the juddering ??

As you have a vagcom, log the map actual and requested blocks while driving, to confirm that the MAF is working correctly.

RickT
23-05-2007, 11:30 PM
Coil pack has failed and has caused it to throw a wobbly..

Thats my guess mate..

Check the coils and report back..

its pretty common (apart from the red glow..)

RicKT

shahabudeen
24-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi rick,

by coils do you mean the spark plug housings. what should i look for. i did change the spark plugs, just in case the shop sold me the wrong ones for the car.

cheers

shahabudeen
24-05-2007, 08:26 AM
Surely that would cause the juddering ??

As you have a vagcom, log the map actual and requested blocks while driving, to confirm that the MAF is working correctly.

ive never done this b4, can you guide us thru it mate

many thanks

Lex Luthor
24-05-2007, 08:48 AM
ive never done this b4, can you guide us thru it mate

It will probably be measuring block 003.
If not can you post the part number of the ecu as read from vagcom. When you open the controller it is listed in the "VAG Number" box.

Mearsuring blocks and logging is here :

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/tour/m-blocks.html

shahabudeen
26-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Hi All,

Ive replaced the 4 spark plugs with iridium bosch ones. the juddering has now stopped. but for some reason the engine gets extremely hot after even a short journey. the air filter is too hot to touch. im a bit sceptical to take it on a long drive just incase the same juddering re-occurs.

can anyone help, vag cam says no faults found.

cheers (RickT)

RickT
27-05-2007, 12:04 AM
when you say hot... how hot?? does the needle more above 90'c?? it should never move above unless something is wrong..

RickT

Lex Luthor
27-05-2007, 08:49 AM
Can anyone help, vag cam says no faults found.

With your VAGCOM you can read the actual engine temperature, not the sanitised version as displayed on the gauge.
What is it?

shahabudeen
27-05-2007, 09:10 AM
nah the temperature stays on 90. i thought thats to do with the coolant.

Lex Luthor
27-05-2007, 09:46 AM
nah the temperature stays on 90. i thought thats to do with the coolant.

Yes, the gauge stays on 90 but the actual engine temperature will be different as the gauge does not truly read the engine temperature.

As you are expressing a concern over the engine temperature and have the required tool, why not find out what the actual temp is ?

shabs
28-05-2007, 04:09 PM

This is what i got from the Vagcom. I dont know much to use it properly, i couldnt find how to measure the engine temperatute.

can anyone help

andrew00011
29-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I had the same problem as you did recently and that (cat) was also glowing red.I also got new spark plugs but they weren't the problem . Replace the ignition coils since the cylinder misfired you don't have to replace all of them but the bad ones (might be just one). It was hard to find the bad coil, had to move them a bit while the engine was on to find it.

Lex Luthor
29-05-2007, 10:22 AM
This is what i got from the Vagcom. I dont know much to use it properly, i couldnt find how to measure the engine temperatute.

Hi. The reason it does not make sense is that there is no Label file loaded, see where is says Lable File : none ?

The label file is where the text comes from for the measuring blocks.

The easiest thing for you to do is to download the latest zipped label files from Ross tech :

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/label-files/Labels.060728.zip

Extract them and copy them all into where you have VAGCOM installed, probably :

C:\Program Files\VAG-COM\Labels

Overwrite any if the message comes up.

Now try your VAGCOM again and it should load a label file applicable to your ECU part number. If it does then the measuring blocks should have nice text labels on them and you can step through them from 001 and see where the engine temp is displayed.

Rgds

shabs
29-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all your help lads. ive downloded the labels pack - cheers lex.

i think i might have to change the coil pack. initially when the car started juddering the cylinder 2 and 4 coil packs popped up. are they the ones which have failed. vag com diagnosed it as cylinder 2 misfire and random misfire. how do i check them since the fault has now cleared and how much do they cost.

where can i buy them from and is it a DIY job.

help appreciated

cheers

Lex Luthor
29-05-2007, 11:14 AM
how do i check them since the fault has now cleared

If all is well at the moment why not swap them over with a coilpack that has not displayed a failure and drive the car and see what happens.

Give GSF a call for prices.

www.gsfcarparts.com

After downloading the label file, do you see text on the measuring blocks ?

shabs
29-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks for your quick reply lex. do you have any instructions to swap over the coil pack, is it easy to do. yeh the label file you told me to download had 666 files as supposed to 141 there was already in the folder. hopefully later on i will measure the reading blocks

thanks mate

Lex Luthor
29-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your quick reply lex. do you have any instructions to swap over the coil pack, is it easy to do.

Off the top of my head....

Undo the two screws holding the ignition harness to the top of the head.
Disconnect all 4 coil packs.
With a pen mark them 1 to 4 from the front
They just pop out, as you know :-)
Swap 1 with 2 and 3 with 4
Fasten it all up and test.

shabs
30-05-2007, 02:04 PM

hi lex, im still not getting any label files.

Lex Luthor
30-05-2007, 04:22 PM
No, there is not a label the matches your ECU p/n 8E0 909 557.
What is your engine code ? Is it ALT ?

If you just step thro the measuring blocks you will find what can only be the engine temp.

Dozz
30-05-2007, 06:56 PM
With the coils disconnected or misfiring you may of damaged the cat. I had a similar fault on an old vauxhall I had. the unburnt fuel entered the cat and caused it to "melt" the cat honeycomb inside in fact all the heat was carried down the exhaust and set fire to the boot carpet. After this until I replaced the lamba sensor (also damaged by the unburnt fuel) and the cat it always got very hot and smelt really bad even just starting it up just to move it off the drive.

shahabudeen
31-05-2007, 11:00 AM
thank mate, Yeh Lex the engines code is ALT. I dont think the Cat is damaged coz i did not drive it very long when it was juddering, i got the spark plugs replaced straight away and it hasnt juddered since. is there a way of checking whether the CAT is damaged or not other than taking it in for a MOT via VAGCOM

cheers mate

im gonna try swapping the coils over.

Lex Luthor
31-05-2007, 02:57 PM
After a misfire problem the cat fails by breaking up and blocking the exhaust.
You will find the car way down on power if this is the case.

dub love
31-05-2007, 06:25 PM
first of all, if its a 1.8turbo, have you put a K+N on it or removed the airbox, because is you have thats your problem. by putting a k=n on the 20v turbo's you are royaly f##king up the mass air flow sensor and the whole thing will need replacing £140

:beerchug:

[shuffle records]

myspace/sikenway

Lex Luthor
31-05-2007, 07:34 PM
first of all, if its a 1.8turbo, have you put a K+N on it or removed the airbox, because is you have thats your problem. by putting a k=n on the 20v turbo's you are royaly f##king up the mass air flow sensor and the whole thing will need replacing £140

:beerchug:

[shuffle records]

myspace/sikenway

Thank you for your contribution.
If however you had actually read the thread you would have realised that this is not a 1.8T.

shahabudeen
31-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi Experts,

Can you have a look at file VAG2.jpg on page 2. vagcom founds a brake problem. i was driving to heathrow and back. no probs with engine studdering, but everytime i pressed hard on the brakes, the car would pull to the left. is this to do with the vagcom error. i have cleared the code and it doesnt appear anymore.

can anyone help?

cheers

Lex Luthor
31-05-2007, 10:04 PM
I cannot imagine that the error you saw was related to the brakes pulling to the left.
When you test the brakes for pulling, drive in the centre of the road so that the camber has no effect.
When the road is clear test the ABS by really nailing the brakes.
If it is pulling under braking, then check the tyre pressures; then I would pull the front pads and check the floating calipers then clean and re-assemble with copperease to make sure everything moves as it should.

a8 tech
31-05-2007, 10:21 PM
If your cat is damaged the threshold values will be exceeded and a fault will store and the mil light will come on.If the vehicle is running ok and no fault codes yoy may be getting worried about nothing.The cat will warm up very quickly and if your saying what i think your sayin when the coil pack issue was noticed you have had unburnt fuel igniting in the manifold/cat.try to establish what your issue is now.The brake issue should be treated seperate.Sorry to jump in.Regards Jon

shabs
01-06-2007, 10:14 AM
thanks for all your help mate, since the car is driving normal, apart from the pulling to the left when i brake, do you think there is nothing wrong with the cat.

if the cat goes would it register on vagcom and is there a label pack available for my ecu

many thanks

shab:beerchug:

Lex Luthor
01-06-2007, 12:07 PM
thanks for all your help mate, since the car is driving normal, apart from the pulling to the left when i brake, do you think there is nothing wrong with the cat.

If it drives normally then the cat is not blocking the exhaust

if the cat goes would it register on vagcom and is there a label pack available for my ecu

If the cat fails to work as it should I would expect a CEL.
I cannot find a label file for your engine.
As a registered user you could email Ross Tech and see what they say.

a8 tech
01-06-2007, 02:09 PM
The engine management light would come on for sure if the cat was damaged as the pre and after cat lambda sensors would detect nox and oxygen levels altering from specification.I wouldnt woory about it unless the light comes on but i would check for fault codes after 100miles.