PDA

View Full Version : GSM mobile phone preparation

john-mandy
14-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Could anyone who's a bit more savvy on the b7 a4 than me please explain what this would mean to me.

i pick up my 2007 3.0 tdi quattro next week, (yippie), and after reading many posts am still what confused.

Does it mean bluetooth enabled, i have the MF steering wheel with sat nav, if not how do you make and recieve calls.

A pointer to the right post would be great, many thanks

john

a8 tech
14-03-2010, 08:54 PM
you have universal preparation which allows bluetooth but you will only use the phones gsm aerial for uplink and down link phone calls/comms

GSM telephones work with a transmission power of up to two watts. For this reason, relatively high field strengths can occur, especially inside the vehicle.

If you use the cradle base then you are hard-wired into the bt phone control unit and you will use the roof antenna gsm for better uplink and down link

The universal system is prepared for dual-band mobiles (D and E networks). The mobile phone preparation comprises a user-friendly hands-free unit, a high-performance external aerial and a charger. Your mobile phone is paired with the system by an adapter

The mobile phone preparation in addition comprises a Bluetooth interface.

Extra-convenient: you can also operate the hands-free unit via the speak button on the adapter set or via multifunction steering wheel. If your vehicle is fitted with a driver information system, its display will show phone numbers and associated information held in the memory

john-mandy
14-03-2010, 09:21 PM
you have universal preparation which allows bluetooth but you will only use the phones gsm aerial for uplink and down link phone calls/comms

GSM telephones work with a transmission power of up to two watts. For this reason, relatively high field strengths can occur, especially inside the vehicle.

If you use the cradle base then you are hard-wired into the bt phone control unit and you will use the roof antenna gsm for better uplink and down link

The universal system is prepared for dual-band mobiles (D and E networks). The mobile phone preparation comprises a user-friendly hands-free unit, a high-performance external aerial and a charger. Your mobile phone is paired with the system by an adapter

The mobile phone preparation in addition comprises a Bluetooth interface.

Extra-convenient: you can also operate the hands-free unit via the speak button on the adapter set or via multifunction steering wheel. If your vehicle is fitted with a driver information system, its display will show phone numbers and associated information held in the memory

Thanks very much a8,

I think i may take some time to digest your very full answer, perhaps it will be a little more clear when i actually have the car.

It would also be fair to say, i am glad i joined this forum, there seems a readiness by most of the senior members to help newbies like myself, you personally have given me valuble info in the past, in which i can't thank you enough.

john

a8 tech
14-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, I'm not always around these days so if you need further assistance pm me

Jason.S
14-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Blimey!

I was just about to ask this question myself!!

So, if i understand it, a phone will connect via BT, however, because of the phones built in aerial, its better to physically connect the phone to the car so that it uses the external aerial.

hmmm.

Not sure if there is one for my old Nokia though!

Any websites that sell aftermarket adapters?

Thanks!

a8 tech
14-03-2010, 09:59 PM
In a nut shell yes, gsm signals have improved but if you experience poor voice quality or drop out then use a cradle for a better connection

Have a look here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=93594
for approved phones and tested firmware versions

john-mandy
14-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Blimey!

I was just about to ask this question myself!!

So, if i understand it, a phone will connect via BT, however, because of the phones built in aerial, its better to physically connect the phone to the car so that it uses the external aerial.

hmmm.

Not sure if there is one for my old Nokia though!

Any websites that sell aftermarket adapters?

Thanks!

The talk about using the cars aerial seems to have me stumped even more, although the car i,m picking up next week has gsm mobile phone prep, it does'nt seem to have an external aerial.

Do they build these into the back windscreen like the old radio aerial or are my missing somthing.

john

a8 tech
14-03-2010, 10:02 PM
saloon uses the back window

john-mandy
14-03-2010, 10:04 PM
saloon uses the back window

Thanks again a8.

john

Jason.S
14-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Quite a tricky one this as the car im looking at has GSM prep, but according to the Audi website, it seems that the phones phonebook can only be accessed in vehicles built 11/05 on.

The car im looking at was first registered in 11/05 so im wondering if it will work or not.

Ive just found the price of the cradle from Audi and its £100 for my nokia!! eeek!

And i was gonna get the updated Nav disc too.

Oh well...

a8 tech
14-03-2010, 10:06 PM
cradle list 8181 B7 A4 is generation 2

Jason.S
14-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Great.

Thanks for that!

El Guapo
14-03-2010, 11:50 PM
I just use the bluetooth on mine as I had the unsightly cradle removed and have never had any problems if it helps. :D

Jason.S
15-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Cheers.

I may just do that as im used to using a Parrot in the van anyway.

To be honest, i wasnt sure if the GSM prep always included bluetooth connection, which after reading a few posts it appears that it should do.

Jason.S
15-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Forgot to add but on some vehicles, there is a cradle thats attached to the left hand side of the dash by the radio, and it appears to be moulded on, rather than screwed.

I though they were all fitted in the centre armrest?

Are these removable or is that how it has to be?

Thanks again and apologies for the thread hi-jack!

a8 tech
15-03-2010, 05:43 PM
they are screwed on and if you remove the cradle it leave two big holes, unless you replace the centre console

El Guapo
15-03-2010, 09:13 PM
As a8 said they are screwed on but I got Audi to remove it before I purchased the car off them. And yes they had to replace the centre console etc and just kept the bluetooth bits behind the console. Looks much neater than having that ugly thing sticking out. Also passengers would hit their legs on it when getting in sometimes. You will still have all the normal functions like SIM via dash etc. It just wont charge the phone obviously but if you have a car charger then not a problem. I have a Blackberry and im not even sure they do cradle adapter for the Blackberry or most modern phones? :D

trapster
16-03-2010, 06:10 PM
mmm this is intersting to me as i am looking to do the same

in plain english :-) can some one tell me what i need and how much it should cost

i have a 2007 A4 2.0TFSI S-LINE SPECIAL EDITION

It has the sat nav plus and has the tel button on the sat nav i also have the multi function steering wheel.
when i press the multifunction steering wheel it saves phone prep not installed.

so if i want to use my apple i phone 3g in this car which has the center arm rest what do i need and how much should it cost ?

i am told the cradle for the phone is around £100 for the iphone.

is that all i need or are there extra bits that i need to get the phone part working ?

Jason.S
16-03-2010, 06:40 PM
I believe you may need at least the bluetooth module installed and probably other things too.

The main man will be able to answer that when he is back on.

a8 tech
16-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Instead of fitting the universal prep with cradle base and roof gsm aerial try these options

You can add bt bluetooth control unit instead of universal prep so no need for the gsm or the cradle base.
http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p401_Bluetooth-Handsfree---Retrofit---Audi-A4--Bluetooth-Only-.html

or the fiscon kit

http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1139_FISCON-Handsfree-Bluetooth----Basic-Plus----Audi--Seat.html