PDA

View Full Version : Bike rack advice for 2010 A3 Sportback

PjDali
14-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm awaiting delivery of my first A3, and have ordered a 1.4T Sportback Sport,in Lava Gray with a few extras and counting the days till delivery :biglaugh:, any advice on bike racks would be appreciated.

The car won't have a tow bar fitted so options will be a roof based carrier :confused: or one of those which hang off the tailgate .

I don't see myself carrying any more than 2 adult mountain bikes but there's always a possibility I may need to carry a third bike?

Any thoughts or best options? Should I have roof bars fitted :confused:

Thanks in advance :beerchug:

Crasher
14-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Audi list a 2 bike tailgate carrier for the 8P Sportback but only list it up to 2008 for some reason, the part number is 8P9 071 104. Ask your dealer.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/8PSportbacktailgatebikecarrier.jpg

They do a roof bar system but I don’t know if these roof rails can be retro fitted or does it have them?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/8PSportbackbikecarrier.jpg

PjDali
14-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the reply :biggthump

I'll have a word with the dealers for sure and will keep an eye on the forum if any members have any personal experience.

Hopefully buying genuine Audi accessories would mean it's a proper fit for the A3 and less likely to jiggle about on the road and maybe scratch my pride and joy:D

TFSIer
06-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I got some Thule aero roof bars (that don't need the roof rails to fit - but you can get them for the roof rails too) and a couple of thule cycle carriers. Roof mount is always going to be more secure than boot and avoids issues with number plate visibility and access to boot. The beauty of the thule roof rails is that they're modular so by buying a different foot pack (~£25) you can re-use them on your next car. Also comes in handy for the odd trip to Ikea etc ! They sometimes come up on ebay too.