PDA

View Full Version : Vw Golf Mk Iv. 1.4 Or 1.6

adamio12
23-05-2007, 02:32 PM
hI
I want to buy a second hand golf mkiv and i want to know if there is big difference in driving between 1.4 and1.6:aargh4:i dont have the money fy for the 1.9 or the 1.8 GTI so i was thinkng of the 1.6!Please help.

Eshrules
23-05-2007, 02:39 PM
hI
I want to buy a second hand golf mkiv and i want to know if there is big difference in driving between 1.4 and1.6:aargh4:i dont have the money fy for the 1.9 or the 1.8 GTI so i was thinkng of the 1.6!Please help.

in a word, yes.

the 1.4 has always been seen as the 'poor relation' of the engine range in the mk4 golf. alongside with the 1.9 Sdi.

the 1.4 pushes 75bhp with 96lb of torque, taking it to a top speed of 106 mph

the 1.6 (8v) pushes 100bhp with 107lb of torque carrying that to a top speed of 117mph,

the 1.6 (16v) has a few more horses and a few more mph at top end, but will be a fair bit more economical than the 8v.

if i were you, id get the 1.6, you will find the 1.4 underpowered and it will tarnish your view of the mk4 :(

adamio12
23-05-2007, 02:43 PM
thanks ator the prompt reply.My other worry is that in every review i read peple always complain about problems with the car both mechanical and structural.Is it rellay worth it going for it, instead of a ford focus or a vauxhall astra.i really like the desigh of it but i must say i am a bit discouraged by the reviews.Any suggestion fo good reviews on the net?
thanx

Eshrules
23-05-2007, 03:07 PM
thanks ator the prompt reply.My other worry is that in every review i read peple always complain about problems with the car both mechanical and structural.Is it rellay worth it going for it, instead of a ford focus or a vauxhall astra.i really like the desigh of it but i must say i am a bit discouraged by the reviews.Any suggestion fo good reviews on the net?
thanx

im not sure what reviews you haev been reading......

this may be the wrong place to ask such a question as im obviously biased in my response, but my entry into the VAG ownership world wasnt a smooth one. i had turbo issues, ive had suspension troubles, my wishbones have just failed and i face the trouble of the complete timing belt change next year... but i love the car and would not change it for the world.

like any other car on the road, i could find you several bad reviews, there will always be a few bad apples in the barrel.

IMHO, the golf against the focus, there is no competition for me, people have remarked upon the chassis being a bit better on the focus, but the pride of owning a VW for me, rules over everything.

end of the day, it is your decision. but if you are trying to find a car with faultless build quality and excellent reliability, i would not have thought ford was the way....

every car has its faults, that you have to bear in mind when making your decision and no car, by any means, is perfect. :beerchug: