PDA

View Full Version : Noisey CV joints?

Rexer
12-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I get a sort of fast clicking noise when accelerating while turning to the left, if on a bend i notice it most at slow speed, turning slightly to the left but only when on the gas, don't notice the noise on over run.

To describe the noise here goes. Sort of like rattleing a spoon in a plastic cup really fast.

It speeds up the quicker i go too.

Anyone else had this noise?

The car is a 53 plate 1.9TDI 130 estate sport

martin1810
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Sounds like you need a new cv joint. Have you checked your tyres, just in case something is stuck in one of them.

Rexer
12-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Tyres are fine. Its wierd though as CV joints normally make a racket on full lock, mine are silent on full lock and only clicking at say a quater of a turn on the wheel and only when under load.

Looks like a job for the weekend along with the snapped off fuel flap

Next up...... cruise control ;)

philipharmes
12-03-2010, 10:07 PM
I bought these off Ebay for SWMBO's 53 reg TDi
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-PASSAT-CV-JOINT-NEW-ECV061_W0QQitemZ260111395607QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3c8fd8eb17
They have done about 10k miles so far & been perfect.
You could see hardly any wear in the old ones, but they sure were noisy.

David_Cooper
19-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Its wierd though as CV joints normally make a racket on full lock, mine are silent on full lock and only clicking at say a quater of a turn on the wheel and only when under load.

If it's any help mine were exactly the same, CV joint was noisy when, for example pulling right out of a junction. Were silent on full lock.

Changing the joints totally fixed the problem. I went for cheapy ebay jobs too- no probs as of yet.

Rexer
19-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Thanks mate, recon i will get them then ;)

westyorkie
21-03-2010, 05:13 AM
I've got the same problem on the O/S. Getting fitted next week :)

David_Cooper
21-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Always seems to be the offside that goes first..?

I found that when my offside (drivers, UK) side was shot I'd hear the noise when pulling right out of junctions.
When the nearside CV was worn, it started clicking when pulling out to the left, initially starting with heavy load conditions, eg pulling away up hill.

This is probably not a hard 'n fast rule but may help people to identify which side is at fault. Mine have never showed any play or slack, even when they're shot to bits!