PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Octavia 1.9tdi starting problems

kwalateebob
12-03-2010, 05:14 PM
My 2003 Octavia 1.9tdi starts intermittently. sometimes when it will not start it will start after a few minutes with the key in. When the key is turned all dash lights come on but starter does not work.. Relay 109 has been mentioned but I have noticed that this is on engines that are least turning on the starter. It is worse when cold. currently waiting for friend to come round with diagnostic kit but have not found these entirely helpful in the past. Any suggestions?:confused:

martin1810
12-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Check connections are all tight on the starter. Other than that it is probably a faulty starter or faulty ignition switch. There is a fat wire that powers the starter and another thinner wire that fires it up. When the starter doesn't turn with ignition on...try running an extra wire from the battery "+" to that thinner wire terminal. If the starter works instantly you know the fault is back in the wiring, most probably the ignition switch.

kwalateebob
12-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for your reply I will try that tomorrow. Puzzling thing is that I have left the car with the ignition key in twice whilst I went to do other things and on one occasion came back to it to show my mate who was collecting me that it wouldn't start when it fired up straight away on the other I lifted the bonnet, checked the starter wires, got back in and again it started, both within minutes of having tried a number of times to start it.

Issac Hunt
12-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Could be the immobilser ring around the ignition switch playing up? Hvae you had it scanned for faults?

kwalateebob
14-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Tried new battery and it did start however the following morning it didn't. I have had a problem when cold for about 2 years in which I occasionally have had to hold the key over in the start position and after about 10 - 30 seconds it suddenly fires up. Glow plugs test OK. Immoboliser ring sounds good - how do you scan it?

Issac Hunt
14-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Using diagnostic software, VCDS or similar.

MaksiNaki
22-07-2010, 10:51 AM
If you did not solve your problem, try with this.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MEyBKvBNahg/TEgV6LDPIvI/AAAAAAAAABU/JOnMnFjnKcQ/Octavia%20starter%20schematic.jpg

Greetings :)

greg123
17-08-2010, 12:36 AM
90% starter motor. When it doesn't start, check the starter has 12v on the main terminal and check the small single terminal on the clip plug has 12v when you turn the key. If so, and the engine earth is good (negligible resistance to battery -ve) it's the starter. Common, I favour Bosch gen reman which I get at a good price.

Greg.

If you did not solve your problem, try with this.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_MEyBKvBNahg/TEgV6LDPIvI/AAAAAAAAABU/JOnMnFjnKcQ/Octavia%20starter%20schematic.jpg

Greetings :)

Keithi
20-01-2011, 06:34 PM
You will see my Octavia 2.0 TDi has developed similar problem. Garage cannot trace it and think it could be anything from ignition swith to an ECU. Did you find the fault in you car:confused:?

oldbeaver
29-11-2011, 02:36 AM
As Martin1810 says, check all connections from the battery to the starter. If all lights come on, but starter do not turn with strenght, it is likely to have 4 possible problems:

1. Cables connections are not tight enough. Or cables are old and eroded.
2. Connection of cables to battery is dirty and with salts. Clean cables and battery terminals with a cup of hot water and tight.
3. Battery is dying or lacks acid. Check that, and if it is the case, charge or change the battery.
4. The relay or the solenoid are not working.

Good luck,

Oldbeaver