PDA

View Full Version : AHHHH -Scratched

amillen
10-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Well after spending several hours detailing on Sat and being very proud of the work I went to jump in the car yesterday only to see a 3" scratch along the front passenger wing.:aargh4: Have no idea how it got there as I hadn't been anywhere that I can think of for it to happen.

Having picked up the touch up kit from a dealer and a very fine paintbrush I am looking any advice, tips and hints that will make the repair as invisible as possible.

Thanks

Colour is Monza Silver

A1287210
10-03-2010, 03:31 PM
I had the same sort of problem, and it turned out to be the hose, carelessly I had trailed to hose around the car while cleaning, it was one of those cheap hoses that is very ridgid plastic and so retained the loops, a great height to pick up wet stones from the drive and scratch them against the car. NOT a happy bunny:zx11:. I can tell you it hasent happend since. Luckily it wasn't deep.

Damo

robtt09
10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I have four paint chips, including one on the bonnet, and a small scratch near the boot lid.Had the car nearly a year and in another six months will get local Chips Away bloke round with his van to deal with them.Do the same again eighteen months after that to deal with any more damage in the interim.Their repair standard is really good and at the same time I will get them to deal with any alloy wheel damage

amillen
10-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Thanks guys, always careful when cleaning the car and know it wasn't done when doing so and have just had to accept that it is now scratched.

Don't want to have to call somebody out to do it so really looking some tips to get as bleamish free finish as possible

Douglas C
10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd suggest you don't go anywhere near your scratch with a fine paint brush. IMO silver is a difficult colour to match with a touch up and, having tried something similar myself, found that the scratch looked many times worse. Does the scratch go right through to the metal? If it doesn't you might improve things by careful polishing with one of the scratch creams. Easy does it with a nice soft cloth rubbing along the line of the scratch - good luck!

amillen
11-03-2010, 11:54 AM
I know it will be a tricky process and don't expect to have it 100% perfect without a full respray. Isn't through to the metal although is down to the primer so quite noticeable and don't think the polish will do enough on its own. Did find this right-up on another forum which should certainly help http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20127
Patience I think will be the key

Tony2
11-03-2010, 09:30 PM
DO NOT USE THAT TOUCH UP KIT!!!!!

Honestly if you care about your car at all see a pro detailer and get it wet sanded out for about £100 you will defo be happier

see this thread http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=144118

Anthony

amillen
12-03-2010, 10:58 AM
thanks Tony2 can't access that link at the moment, will be taking it over to the local paint guys before attempting anything

mkc
12-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Can I ask to see a photo of the scratch? Can you feel the scratch with a finger nail. It may be that its just in the clearcoat and could easily polish out with some products I could recommend. I would only go for a touch up or spray if its down to the grey primer to be honest.

I bought a Audi touch up kit and used it on one large stone chip. If you do go down that route buy some artist brushes aswell to go with it, the provided brush is to big. I would put some paint on a piece of card and thin it out so its not all lumpy then apply with a smaller artist brush. Add several layers over several days and then give the lacquer a go. That stuff is like snot so keep it well away from the rest of the car panel.

The Metallic and Pearl paints are a nightmare to match, the sparkly fragments tend to move down the freshly applied paint due to gravity so if it is a major scratch get it done by a pro.

amillen
12-03-2010, 02:47 PM
thanks for the advice mkc. Will try and get a picture uploaded over the weekend but is definitely through the clearcoat and into the paint so unfortuntely not a simple polish out job. Have purchased a very fine brush if I go down the touch up route and will try it out on a hidden panel before going at the main scratch