PDA

View Full Version : Advice on roof bars and bike rack

a4 s line
08-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Hi there,

I have a 2007 Audi A4 S Line avant (B7).

Can anyone recommend which would be the best roof bars and cycle rack to purchase.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

moose-P
08-03-2010, 11:56 PM
There's a lot more you need to say ...... roof or tow-bar mounted? what type of bike? how many bikes?

With estate cars, I have used roof bars with carriers on top, but our last two cars have been tall people carriers so we opted for a tow-bar mounted carrier. When going away on holidays, we use a pair of roof-bars on top of the trailer (as per a car roof).

In all cases the carriers are Thule ones. Their roof bars and cycle carriers are second to none, and I will happily recommend them for conventional road/mountain bikes :D However, my wife and I now have full suspension mountain bikes, both with 6" of suspension travel, and neither bike phyically fits the conventional 530 locking carriers, so we are going to change to the 561 fork mounting type for them.

The hitch mounted carrier is a Thule 9705 4 bike bolt-on unit, and I am less impressed with that - with four bikes mounted, it moves around quite a bit - certainly to the limits of what I am comfortable with :( A friend has a Pendle tow-bar mounted carrier, and that seems well made and more solid than the Thule.

NascarMike
10-03-2010, 06:38 PM
I would recommend you have a look at www.roofbox.co.uk they supply all makes of roofbars and bike racks.

I would recommend either Atera roofbars or Prorack S Wing.

About 2 years ago I bought from them the Atera Strada 3 bike carrier which attaches to the towbar and this is a quality product.

As I am not too tall, I couldn't imagine me trying to affix bikes to the roof bars and then dropping them onto the roof...... this would be very costly and expensive. Therefore for me it was a no brainer and a towbar attached bikes carrier was a must.

I recently purchased from them as a package deal, the Prorack S Wing roofbars together with a Kamei Corvara 390K Duolift roofbox and these 2 products just ooze quality and I would thoroughly recommend them.

If in any doubt contact the Roofbox Company for any info and their customer service is First Class.

Happy shopping!!!

PFJones
11-03-2010, 11:46 AM
You can also visit PFJones for your Roof Box (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/thule-roof-boxes.html) needs, we also work on a price promise, if you find it cheaper elsewhere we will do our very best to beat that price.

Scott
P.F.Jones

Dr Mcr
10-06-2010, 10:32 PM
I would recommend you have a look at www.roofbox.co.uk (http://www.roofbox.co.uk) they supply all makes of roofbars and bike racks.

I would recommend either Atera roofbars or Prorack S Wing.

About 2 years ago I bought from them the Atera Strada 3 bike carrier which attaches to the towbar and this is a quality product.

As I am not too tall, I couldn't imagine me trying to affix bikes to the roof bars and then dropping them onto the roof...... this would be very costly and expensive. Therefore for me it was a no brainer and a towbar attached bikes carrier was a must.

I recently purchased from them as a package deal, the Prorack S Wing roofbars together with a Kamei Corvara 390K Duolift roofbox and these 2 products just ooze quality and I would thoroughly recommend them.

If in any doubt contact the Roofbox Company for any info and their customer service is First Class.

Happy shopping!!!

Hi Nascar Mike. I'm looking at this same combination for my 2009 A4 Avant. Would you still recommend the combination? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks in advance. :)

D.

NascarMike
11-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi

I see that you live in Glossop, and if like me you want to make sure that what you buy is suitable for your needs & also costs.

If you would like to come & see me as I live in Denton, 5 minutes down the motorway, you are more than welcome.

This week I used the roofbox for the first time as we went camping in Wales, once you have adjusted the roofbars to the correct width, it is a doddle to put on & take off. Initially I had to telephone the roofbox company (Elliot) to ask them how to release the roofbars to make them wider, as the instructions, didn't mention it.

As previously mentioned the Kamei roofbox in my opinion is a better product than Thule and also use Volkswagen facilities in Wolfsburg to develop their boxes.

Cost wise pound for pound the Kamei wins again in overall size and ease of fitting.

The Krauts don't mess about with things like this.

Anyway, if you want to PM me, you are more than welcome and you can see my roofbars & box.

Cheers NascarMike:biglaugh:

Dr Mcr
12-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Hi

I see that you live in Glossop, and if like me you want to make sure that what you buy is suitable for your needs & also costs.

If you would like to come & see me as I live in Denton, 5 minutes down the motorway, you are more than welcome.

This week I used the roofbox for the first time as we went camping in Wales, once you have adjusted the roofbars to the correct width, it is a doddle to put on & take off. Initially I had to telephone the roofbox company (Elliot) to ask them how to release the roofbars to make them wider, as the instructions, didn't mention it.

As previously mentioned the Kamei roofbox in my opinion is a better product than Thule and also use Volkswagen facilities in Wolfsburg to develop their boxes.

Cost wise pound for pound the Kamei wins again in overall size and ease of fitting.

The Krauts don't mess about with things like this.

Anyway, if you want to PM me, you are more than welcome and you can see my roofbars & box.

Cheers NascarMike:biglaugh:

Thanks Nascarmike.

The power of the internet is astonishing! How else would I have found someone who has the exact prorack roofbars, kamei roofbox already attached to the same model of car that I own, on my doorstep, inviting me round for a look! :biglaugh:

I bet your even going to tell me it's the same colour I'm looking at too? I think I'm erring towards shiny titanium metallic, despite my car being silver, but the main thing is fit.

I've PM'd you with details... Big, big thanks!

D.

Dr Mcr
17-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Many many many thanks again to NascarMike for all his help.

By seeing the Kamei Corvara 390K roof box in the flesh I was able to see that the Bugaboo Chameleon buggy fits inside the box perfectly, with the wheels nestling between the "stapler" like fixing system. The bugaboo transport bag also fitted right into the nose of the box leaving loads of space behind for another bag.

I was so impressed, I ordered the bars and kamei roofbox that afternoon.

Here are the perils of internet ordering without personal email access from work!

Box in stock - confirmed Friday by email
Ordered Saturday
Order processed Monday - now out of stock - alternative colours available (got message after business had closed)
Tuesday - tried to order different colour - now no stock left of that - but delivery due later that day
Tuesday PM - boxes now in stock (yippee) - set for next day delivery
Wednesday - Delivery driver failed to follow instructions - box not left
Thursday redelivery - box left this time
Thursday night, box and bars fitted in just 2 hours! I just hope I have done them correctly!!!!

Mike I owe you beers - and I can remember what you drink. :beerchug:
I tried to buy them for you on Sat, but you were right - the ones you like are not stocked at the store I mentioned. It may take a couple of weeks, but I will not forget :D

NascarMike
18-06-2010, 06:54 PM
No problems at all.

Glad to help you, it is always difficult when you are spending a lot money and you have never seen what you are buying.

If you need any further help with anything, will be pleased to assist you.

All the best.

Come on England!!:beerchug: