PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Clutch Problem ?, anyone give a quick diagnosis ?

Mr Sco
08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi There

I have an old diesle Passat ( 1997 B5 model) 1.9 tdi and yesterday when i wento drive it the clutch pedal had a very low 'biting point' and the car was in gear when the pedal was barely off the floor, I immediately thought there was somehting wrongand wondered if anyone would know if this is a sign of the clutch cable going wrong ? ( I had a similar problem a few years back with a Saab).....does anyone know if that would be a fair diagnosis and anyone know of a decent online trader who would sell a clutch cable ?....or ae they hydraulic clucthes ?...I'm confused and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

kenney
09-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Your vehicle does not have a clutch cable,you need to check if there is air in the system

Mr Sco
09-03-2010, 09:22 AM
OH....thanks very much for that, you can tell how much I know about cars now !!:Blush:.........would a leyman be able to check for air, it that quite easy ?......or will I have to get it into a mechanic ?

cazyp
09-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Have you checked the level of the fluid in the clutch/brake fluide reservoir?
If it's gone down then you more than likely have a leak - perhaps a in pipe, master or slave cylinder. Fill it up to level with the correct fluid and pump the clutch a few times to test.

There is a bleed valve on the slave cylinder (I think..)

Mr Sco
09-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I hadn't checked that but I will now.....thanks very much for your help....I'll have a look and try a top up if its low.

Thanks

Mr Sco
09-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Just checked it and the brake fluid reservoir is nice and full....I take it the brake fluid reservoir is for the clutch as well ?...it seems fine.....back to the drawing board. Looking like I'll have to book it in.

thanks for the tip though

martin1810
09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
If it has a DMF that may have callapsed. The clutch pressure plate spring may have broken or the release bearing may have callapsed. All of those make the clutch bite at the bottom of it's travel. If it is a hydraulic problem you should be able to pump the clutch pedal a few times to make the clutch bite higher.