PDA

View Full Version : audi coupe cv joints

aellerker09
08-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Hi guys,

Just after some advice,on my recently purchased coupe i need to replace the cv jointsand boots.Where is the best place to get them as i have seen some on ebay but im not to sure?
Is it a big job and how long would it roughly take?
Is there just to joints on this car a outer and a inner that i have to buy?

zollaf
08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
you can buy them almost anywhere, local factors, gsf. euro car parts etc. there are 4 in total, 2 per shaft. if you know what your doing then about 1 hour per side.

scotty33
10-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi

o.e joints are made by GKN-Lobro, suggest you try to get these, chinese copies from E bay may not be inferior, but do you really want to find out the hard way?
As Zollaf said there is an outer and inner per side, I would be tempted to try new outers first, (unless the inner boots are torn). inners tend to last more miles and are not hard to do at a later date.

aellerker09
11-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Cheers for the advice guys.They flashed up on the last mot as an advisories.It just there is a problem when on full lock.I get a little squeal and the steering feels bad when using abit of gas.It this down to the cv joints or do i need to look elsewhere?

scotty33
11-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Hi

The squeal on full lock will be a slipping power steering belt.
Usually a failing Outer CV joint will make a clack clack clack type noise if you put the steering to full lock and accelerate the car. (best done in a deserted car park!)
An outer CV joint that has lost it's grease can cause the steering to pull to one side randomly.
If the MOT tester just advised on the boots, they may just be a bit perished? Can you explain how 'the steering feels bad'?

aellerker09
14-03-2010, 08:13 PM
When i said he steering feels bad that was maybe abit harsh but its like a whineing noise when the steering is near to full lock like for example turning in a juction.I dont think i get the clack noise but i could be mistaken.Is it worth just taking it to a garage and asking them to check it?When i saw it on the mot it just got me worried thats all?

fourringsrus
17-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Surely sounds more like a power steering issue, check the belt tension and the fluid level,but don't go worrying as most cars will groan a bit on full lock

Stuart