PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control retro-fit - any tips please?

moose-P
05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi folks, I have read the excellent write-up about retro-fitting cruise to the Golf (and in fairness the instructions included in the kit seem pretty comprehensive) but was wondering if anyone had any tips or hints specific to the Passat to pass on and make life a little simpler :1zhelp:

caldirun
06-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi folks, I have read the excellent write-up about retro-fitting cruise to the Golf (and in fairness the instructions included in the kit seem pretty comprehensive) but was wondering if anyone had any tips or hints specific to the Passat to pass on and make life a little simpler :1zhelp:
Make sure you have a tool to remove the steering wheel and use a mirror and torch to look in the holes behind it to see what to do to remove the air bag. Allow plenty of time and do not rush it.

moose-P
06-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Tool to remove steering wheel :confused: I thought it was just a nut or bolt that held it in place :confused: I have seen how the air-bag is held in place now, and can see how that comes apart ......

I picked the kit up yesterday, and was going to spend some time today looking over what needs to be done before attacking it tomorrow (maybe, dependant on the "Domestic Manager's" plans) ..... :Blush:

caldirun
06-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Tool to remove steering wheel :confused: I thought it was just a nut or bolt that held it in place :confused: I have seen how the air-bag is held in place now, and can see how that comes apart ......

I picked the kit up yesterday, and was going to spend some time today looking over what needs to be done before attacking it tomorrow (maybe, dependant on the "Domestic Manager's" plans) ..... :Blush:
If you think an M12 multihex socketed bolt is just a bolt, then its just a bolt!

moose-P
06-03-2010, 06:55 PM
If you think an M12 multihex socketed bolt is just a bolt, then its just a bolt!

No, I don't :Screem: I was hoping it was a hex ..... Going to have to go find someone who sells one tomorrow now ..... does it have a name other than M12 Multi-hex :dunno: I can see it's clearly not a Torx bit

I have, however, found out how to remove the airbag successfully and had a good look at how the rest of it go's together now :approve:

Also found another really good "How to" write up for a B5.5 :D

Rexer
07-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Multi point bahh, i just did took my steering wheel off with a T-50 Torx bit, maybe i got lucky ;)

martin1810
07-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I would do it up with the correct bit. M12 spline bit. Sometimes known as trisquare. The bits are much cheaper bought as a DIY set.

mwvw
07-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi moose-P
When I did the write up for the CC installation the things to watch out would be :- to have something suitable to remove the wires from the sockets. As mentioned I happened to have the nails from a nail gun which just fitted down the sides of the wires (as photos) to depress the locking prongs on the pins allowing them to be removed and changed over as per instructions. Also my write up was for a petrol engine B5.5 - the diesels are very similar but the wiring changeover is different.
Make sure that the steering wheel is straight ahead and don't move it untill it goes back on
You'll also need vagcom to set up the CC on the end

moose-P
07-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks mw :beerchug:

I had picked up on the wiring differences - the instruction leaflet in the kit is really pretty good ;) I also have a bit of experience dismantling block connectors thanks to my motorbikes, and have a couple of nifty tools for that (though a good darning needle does a good job too :p).

The instruction leaflet is very specific about the column and self cancel things staying in line .......

I have heard that some ECU's already have the settings activated, so was going to take a gamble on that ..... though the local VW dealer said they'd only charge £20 to plug it in and do the activation if needed, since I bought the kit from them :D

If I get home early one day in the week I might have a look, but if not it'll be a job for next weekend now ....

Oh, meant to congratulate you on an excellent write-up by the way :notworthy

Y90USF
07-03-2010, 11:25 PM
hey guys was wondering if there was an easy way to remove the airbag on the steering wheel on the b5.5 passat??

moose-P
07-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Have a look here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36573

mwvw explains it pretty well - you just ave to put a light pulling pressure on the airbag unit and fiddle with the screwdriver until you feel a click as the lug releases and the bag eases away from the wheel :D

moose-P
11-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Well, spent about 4hrs this evening doing the job, took my time, got frustrated and nearly gave up, but all worked out in the end :D mwvw's how-to helped a great deal, well worth the effort of printing it out :beerchug:

The car works fine, just as it did before, the light comes on when you push the switch over, just need to pop into somwhere with VAGCOM to get the relevant bit turned on in the ECU, as it won't let me set set a speed at present :(

Thanks for the input folks :beerchug: (here's hoping I got the wires in the right places now ....... :Blush2: :p)

caldirun
11-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Well, spent about 4hrs this evening doing the job, took my time, got frustrated and nearly gave up, but all worked out in the end :D mwvw's how-to helped a great deal, well worth the effort of printing it out :beerchug:

The car works fine, just as it did before, the light comes on when you push the switch over, just need to pop into somwhere with VAGCOM to get the relevant bit turned on in the ECU, as it won't let me set set a speed at present :(

Thanks for the input folks :beerchug: (here's hoping I got the wires in the right places now ....... :Blush2: :p)
Put a request in VCDS HELP REQUESTS, save you a few quid and buy a fellow member a pint.

moose-P
12-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Found a very helpful place that turned the CC function on for me today :D All works fine, so I'm a happy chappy :biglaugh:

A very worthwhile additon to the car :beerchug:

paul25
22-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi
I paid £130 pounds for CC fitting. Have a look here http://poollcruisecontrol.com/

Rexer
23-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I just held my revs at 2.000 and put the brakes on and the revs stay at 2.000, does this mean that cruise wont work on my car ?

Its a 53 plate TDI sport 130 estate

moose-P
23-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I just held my revs at 2.000 and put the brakes on and the revs stay at 2.000, does this mean that cruise wont work on my car ?

Its a 53 plate TDI sport 130 estate

Check with VW before ordering, but I thought all B5.5 TDI's were Ok - I thought the question mark was over some petrols and early (non-PD) TDI's :confused: