PDA

View Full Version : Rear window washer

makemineamythos
05-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi all,
I have a 97 Passat estate and when I try to wash the rear window, water does not come out of the jet on the rear window, yet the motor can be heard pumping the washer fluid. Washer fluid can be found in the jack storage compartment in the left side of the boot... does anyone know where I should look in order to find the point where the pipe has split? (assuming it is the pipe that has split)
Anyone else had similar experiences?
Thanks all
Russ

RBF
05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
There is a right angle connection in the left side compartment of the boot. It's a common problem on passats, where the connection pops off. Often when the jets are frozen the pressure upon activating the washer can pop it.

When reconnecting, try fixing it together with something.

makemineamythos
06-03-2010, 12:28 AM
There is a right angle connection in the left side compartment of the boot. It's a common problem on passats, where the connection pops off. Often when the jets are frozen the pressure upon activating the washer can pop it.

When reconnecting, try fixing it together with something.

Hi RBF, thanks for the post.

Do I need to remove any of the trim to get at the connection, or is it accessible through the jack storage compartment?
Thanks,
Russ

moose-P
06-03-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm guessing you'll need to remove the interior trim of the tailgate - the water hose enters the tailgate from the top ..... :approve:

passat tdi130
14-03-2010, 09:17 PM
i can tell you now that you will probably find that the brass tube that run's throu the centre of the wiper fitting will be snapped its common fault happened to mine..!!

if you search my posts on here you shud find where i have added the info

also if you try going to vw for it they will tell you they cant get the parts and you need a complete new motor its rubbish..!! there is a service kit it comes with all the new parts to complete the job you will need to mark up the positions of the cog's in the motor befroe you just dismantle it all in a rush.... take your time mate and you will sort it..!!!

Sly
27-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Audi denied all knowledge of a repair kit but VW have them in stock!? It is partnumber 8L0998711 and they wanted about £25 for it the other day when I phoned. But! After 3 years of not using my rear washer I got a replacement copper pipe off an S reg Golf TDI at my local scrappy and he let me have it for nothing! Result! It's in good nick as well so if it doesn't fix it or I can't get the old bit of pipe out I know where the rest of the motor is at the scrappy!

makemineamythos
27-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,
I will have to have a poke around when I get a bit of time (dont know when that will be as we are having an extension built and I have just started Uni)
I dont think the problem is with the washer which comes from the centre of the wiper, the washer fluid is 'pooling' in the jack compartment in the nearside of the rear luggage compartment which makes me think there is some degradation in the pipe in that area.
Regards,
Russ