PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a Dension Gateway.

suckedin
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

Can any of you offer any advise please?

I'm considering getting a Dension Gateway, possibly the 100, don’t need USB, etc, but would just like to ask a few questions first.

I currently have an Xcarlink adaptor fitted, this worked OK with my iPod classic, however I'm now starting to use an iPhone 3GS and would like this to work 'fully' if that's possible. (It works to a fashion with the xcarlink but can get very confused when a call comes in, if I'm playing music or using satnav, etc. and I also get a warning every time I plug the iPhone in, something about not being compatible).

I would really like to be able to control my iPhone from the stereo and the MFSW and have text on my DIS

So any help/suggestions on models, cables, etc. would be gratefully appreciated (and costs).

My Car is an Audi 2006 A4 B7 (Avant) 2.0T FSI S-line SE and has the Concert 2 stereo single din (CAMBUS, I think), I also have a Nokia Bluetooth car kit (CK-7W) installed and a MFSW (as mentioned).

Hope this all makes sense

PS. this all came about after I discovered I could get Tom-tom on the iPhone playing through my car speakers and decided I would like it more permanent, so don't want the issue with the phone calls, it's as if when I get a call the iPhone issues a pause/mute to the music and so does the xcarlink, thus giving a double pause/mute, so I'm trying to talk over the music with the audio coming out of my Nokia kit. Very confusing for the person on the other end of the phone, also very confusing to explain.:confused:

suckedin
06-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Come on... I can't believe no one's got a Dension 100 and an iPhone out there, or is it that no one wants to talk to me? feeling a bit paranoid :nervous:.

Anyway it may have to go on hold! My car started making a horrendous noise from the engine yesterday:aargh4: Started off sounding like I'd had supercharger fitted then progressed to sounding a very dry grating noise which comes and goes. I've turn air con off etc. and this makes no difference, it does it at standstill and when driving. Seems to be coming from near the alternator but doesn't get any worse with lights and electrics, etc. on.

So got it booked in at Audi on Wednesday, it's going to hurt!

Sod's law it's not as loud this morning, so they probably won't find anything and I'll be £100 lighter:mad:

a8 tech
06-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I have fitted dension kits and there ok but most users complain about the functionality, because the radio system is old technology then the operation reflects this unlike Audi music interface on B8 models which gives complete control of your Ipod.
I would if asked opt to install the dension but buy a cheap ipod and leave it connected instead of using your iphone.
Having said all that the dension kit is better than the audi ipod kit

Your noise is either the a/c pulley or possible counter balance / oil pump shaft failure

suckedin
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Thanks A8tech,

Sounds like good advice. I might stay with my xcarlink and ipod classic for now.

Thanks for the suggestions for the noise, I'm just a little worried that it's something to do with the cambelt (even though it was charged early last year) so not going out in it until Wednesday.

Cheers

solaris10
09-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Also considering this or the xcarlink however i'll be using USB rather than an iPod, so let me know how it goes.

gebbel
10-03-2010, 12:18 AM
I purchased the Dension 100 kit and installed it myself using the terrific DIY write-up (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86692) on this site. I have had it for one week now and all I can is WOW! It's a fantastic piece of kit. I had been using one of those FM-transmitter thingys that, although functional, are mediocre at best. I can now see the track info on the DIS, and I can now select the tracks on the Audi Concert Radio. It's safer and the sound quality is excellent. This is the best piece of kit I have invested in since......the iPod itself!

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv345/facepucky/DSCF3006.jpg

suckedin
10-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Guys

My cars in with Audi as I write... Sods law they can't find anything wrong and the noise went away as I drove it to them this morning:zx11:

So going to wait to see what it's going to cost, then I think I will get the 100 because I do fancy the track names in the DIS and I don't get this with my Xcarlink.

Cheers

a8 tech
10-03-2010, 07:18 PM
there plug and play so if you have a angled drill you can drill the hole in the glove box to allow the cable routing in situ and they take 10 mins to fit,although toff has a made a great write up there is no need to do half of that lot

suckedin
19-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Guys

Just thought I would give an update on my engine noise...

Thursday morning started the car and one almighty noise, a clunk and then a bang:aargh4:... turned off the ignition and sat for a little with my head in my hands! When I stop crying I checked under the bonnet and the belt had come off! On quick look the aircon pump wheel had collapsed:aargh4:.

Had to get the RAC to tow me to Audi.

Just had a call now, the cars ready and its going to cost me £880 :Screem: Does this sound expensive (they have supposed to have given me a good discount).

I just hope that this was problem all along and I'm not going to get another bill.

What I don't understand is why they didn't spot it the first two time they had it in?

So I'm going to have to put the Dension oh hold for the foreseeable.

I'll post up the info from the bill if anyone is interested or just wants a laugh at my expense.

@A8Tech... looks like you were right with the AC pulley:notworthy

suckedin
19-03-2010, 05:58 PM
OK picked my car up and here's the bill

u8e0 260 805 BJ Compressor £608.81
u06d 903 137 E Ribbedbelt £22.89
u8e0 260 749 C Washer 93p
u4e0 260 749 A Washer £1.00

Fitting and re-gassing £118.20

All Plus VAT

Oh and don't forget the 1% surcharge for using a credit card... So grand total of

£893.79 !!

Anybody got a stiff drink?

What do you think?

suckedin
30-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi All,

Would just like to update you on my progress re the Dension 100.

What a top man Ben is @ sharkperformance.:biggthump He was very pleasant on the phone and certainly knows his stuff.

I got around to ordering it on Tuesday from Ben and it arrived on Thursday. I fitted it Thursday night (very easy to fit) and everything worked. Its good to get track info on DIS unlike the xcarlink I had.

So once again a big thank you to all who helped and a big up to Ben.