PDA

View Full Version : Water / Condensation - Avant Rear Light Cluster

eallin
05-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Anyone had this problem?

Had the car for just under a year now and either I've only just noticed it (unlikely) or it's just happened. Water droplets visible, so not your standard bit of mist in there. My local dealer thinks the seals have gone; which surprise, surprise aren't covered under warranty :zx11:

Cheers all,

Ed.

mc_wardy
05-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi, I have this on my 2007 A4 Avant S-Line SE.

I've only had it a couple of weeks and still has warranty on it until Oct. I have it booked in at Audi for Saturday to take a look at this and a rattly door handle.

They said they would dry them out and see how it goes, but my point is How did the water get in there first place?

I'll let you what they say.

Cheers

eallin
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Much appreciated. I'll be taking them out over the weekend to inspect for myself...

eallin
05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
At a loose end tonight so though I'd have a shufty. A doddle to remove following the instructions in the manual. Once out,I removed the bulb holder, dried the inside with a hairdryer, removed and cleaned the seals and housing, reassembled and finally refitted.

All look fine to me. The only seal is that between the bulb holder and the cluster and they don't seem too bad. The main cluster is one-piece moulded so I can't see any chance of water ingress there. Hopefully that sorts it; if not, I'll look into replacing the seals.

:beerchug:

mc_wardy
06-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the update, I think I'll end up doing the same.

They fixed the door handle no problem, they didn't even take the lights out!!! They used the term "feature" a lot then said they couldn't do anything under Warranty and even if they did put new lights in would happen again!!

I also mentioned poor MPG, again bit of a fob off, but I didn't push this too much as I've only had the car a few weeks. I need to do some research on this. If anyone reads this and has had the ECU updated to fix poor MPG then any info would be much appreciated. They again denied any knowledge of such update.

I've never been that impresed with Audi in Aylesbury when I was looking to buy a car and with my brief encounters with the service department, maybe I'll try Amershan or MK next!!

Andy Avant
06-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I had the same problem with condensation / water in my rear light cluster. I carefully removed the lights which did come out with a bit of patience however on examining the light unit I found a crack along the seam where the red lens meets the grey back. I can only think that the last owner wasn't as patient when removing the light and has tried to force out the light causing it to crack. :aargh4: I put clear silicone round the light and this appears to have sorted the problem without forking out for a new unit

eallin
08-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for that. I'll see how they fare and if no better it'll be silicone at the ready. I'm sure I'll regret saying this, but they're fine so far.

mc_wardy
19-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I also pulled my tail lights out the other night, dried them out with the Wife hair dryer. Like Avant Andy I found a previous owner or dealer had not been as careful and had to seal one of the units up.

But now all dry and sealed . . . . . . had the car washed yesterday and all seems good.

RJS_90q
20-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Another example of this - on my 2007 B7 Avant - sounds like it is a common issue.... There is misting in the clear lens on the passenger side rear lens. The car is still under Audi warranty so I'll ask and see what they say.

If they will not fix it, I will inspect the unit as advised on this thread.

Thanks for the info,

Regards,
Bob