PDA

View Full Version : Track rods seized!

leechaos_666
21-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I went to a garage today to get tracking done and he said they are seized so he cannot do it. He said only way to do it is get new track rod ends for 50 pounds each + vat 100 for both and tracking + vat? Is he just trying to rip me off? My mates 306 were seized and he got the blow torch on it but I have been told the a4 uses rubber or something?

Fettler
21-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I personally would not trust the track rods once heat has been applied. Allways fit new ones if heat is needed to release them.
Safety first and all that jazz.:D

Col
21-05-2007, 11:13 PM
You could always get under and see if you could free them off yourself.

Copious amounts of WD40 + a bit of time to soak (maybe a day or two) then have a go at freeing them off.

Agree with Fettler, wouldn't trust them if heat has to be used.

Big Bad T
22-05-2007, 01:57 AM
I went to a garage today to get tracking done and he said they are seized so he cannot do it. He said only way to do it is get new track rod ends for 50 pounds each + vat 100 for both and tracking + vat? Is he just trying to rip me off? My mates 306 were seized and he got the blow torch on it but I have been told the a4 uses rubber or something?

Check out ebay i replaced the trackrods on my A4 a few weeks ago i think i paid £16 for both sides just remember to measure the new ones against the old one before you fit them its a very easy job.

stubbsy
24-05-2007, 02:11 PM
you will need new TRACK ROD ENDS,it is a common problem.these have to be heated to be removed BUT they become VERY DANGEROUS after this.they are not complete metal,the rubber cushion will melt and the track rod end will come apart. ask him to save you one so you can see wot i mean.as for 100 for 2 track rod ends,tell him to sling his hook!!!! and you will supply your own

stubbsy
24-05-2007, 02:17 PM
just checked gsf for you,2 tie rod ends,£16 plus vat each . your quote of £100 for 2 plus vat,make your own decision:D :D