PDA

View Full Version : Wipers problem

moggs
04-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Hey guys.
New to the forum, have just bought an Avant 1.8 as a run around with a few problems to get sorted. I've searched for all the broblems and the only one i am having difficulty nailing is with the wipers as there are so many variables with them.

When i turn the stalk to wipe (down) the wipers will work for 5 to 10 sweeps then stop where they like, sometimes in the park position but not often. No relay click
When i turn to intermitent they continuosly wipe until they are turned off and then it takes 5 to 10 sweeps to stop, again anywhere. No relay click
Also in normal speed. No relay click
form normal to fast Wipers get faster and the relay clicks.

Few questions

Does the front wiper system have one or two relays? I ask because there is part numbers listed for an intermitent relay.

Tried a relay from a mates 98 a4 (mines a 2000) and had the same problem. (square relay with four pins on it, mine says 370 on it his had a different number)

Read that this could likely be the switch problem or maybe the park on the motor is not working properly. Thought i would pick your brains before i started buying things and maybe getting it wrong.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ian

a4qttro
22-08-2010, 05:14 PM
solved this problem by removing wiper motor assembly and taking cover off electrical contacts/switch, cleaning up all contacts on rotary switch solved the problem. Wasted a lot of time with relays first. If bulkhead drain is choked as mine was this connection sits under water which isnt good for it

moggs
28-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Cheers mate, That is exactly what i did, there was a layer of gunk over the contacts and once cleaned up works perfectly.
Ian