PDA

View Full Version : Question Turbo Whine

John S
03-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I had a problem with turbo whine, went to garage, hole in intake found, pipe replaced,problem solved.....or so I thought!
now have noticed Whine resembling a police car when accelerating / decelerating....starting to worry, I hear horror stories like turbo bearings failing:confused:
Does anyone else suffer looking round for police cars or have any advice on what this might be, i'm starting to think expensive trip to garage required.

Any advice greatly appreciated:1zhelp:

things have taken a turn for the worse! The engine management light came on last monday night, been in garage for diagnostics since, various theories from multiple fault codes, but now seem to have settled on replacement throttle body required.....it's gonna be expensive. I bought my 06 plate Tdi for reliability not great at only 62,000 miles. I've owned since 14,000 miles and up to now it's been faultless. Oh well I feel a Passat CC coming on!

Thanks for replies.

Garage been on today, verdict is definitely New throttle body and a thorough cleaning of EGR valve as they are "well gummed up" (Technial Term I assume).......and the cost....£486.00. I suppose having owned the car for 3 years and only paid for servicing and tyres it's not really all that bad! :biglaugh:
Checked what parts cost is, and its £200 for the Throttle body alone (Euro Car Parts), so with diagnostics and labour price seems reasonable.
Out of interest I did not really notice any loss of performance, will ask what causes may be and post. Will be interesting to see if the 'Whine' is still present.

Assuming she comes back running like a dream again the Passat CC may have to wait until next year!

John S

neil mahoney
01-04-2010, 09:30 PM
for sure its a sign of the turbo failing,a big problem on the mk5 golf gt tdi BKD engine code, mines had this police siren for the last 25000 miles

jamiecorbett
05-04-2010, 08:34 PM
I sometimes hear this, very faint siren? (and yes -i looked for the coppers!)
i have just bought a 2006 1.9tdi from a vw dealership (45k on clock) i don't think they would have sold it if it was an issue.
also a family member has a 56plate 1.9tdi golf-(35k on clock) they also get this noise - basically turn on the radio and ignore!
dont really think this is a worry.

jamiecorbett
05-04-2010, 08:37 PM
re; bkd code and 25000 miles
has this affected the mpg/ general driving?

nc7503
09-04-2010, 09:01 PM
i did have have this siren sound on my 06 1.9tdi bxe eng code, jetta which has only done 40k.i went back to the dealers 6 times to complain,in the end they admited that it was getting worse and replaced the turbo,now 2000 miles later its doing it again:zx11:

jamiecorbett
10-04-2010, 08:50 PM
do you still have the jetta?
also -mpg & performence-any affects?

nc7503
11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
i still own the car, mpg and performance are not affected at all im just going to live with it,if you search on here a lot of vw's suffer with this turbo whine/siren sound,some owners on here say that there car has had this sound from new:confused:

jaws3
21-06-2010, 02:54 PM
hi, I have a 2005 Sharan SPort TDI Auto which has started doing this. Took it to VW and they removed pipes and checked turbo but found nothing wrong.

Heading to Spain on Sat so have a bit of driving to do.

They said it didnt need a turbo