PDA

View Full Version : Notchy Gear Change

Gemini
03-03-2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry if this has already been covered, but just taken delivery of 2009 A4 Avant 170. The gear change seems notchy when changing from 1st to 2nd ,and appears worse when cold. Is this a problem that anyone else has/is experiencing. Its been supposedly checked by the dealers, but they say that its normal.

mkc
03-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Mine is like that and a work colleague also mentioned he was like it. It is worse when its cold and Ive made a right hash trying to pull away sometimes when I cant get in to first.

Audi say its normal but Ive never had it on any other Audi or car. Its worse when its cold

AZO1
07-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Getting it into first when cold has always been a pain (1 year old 2.0TFSI) & only gets better when the car has warmed up. IMHO not acceptable. I never found this a problem in previous generation A4s.

jaswolves
07-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Definate issue which Audi are aware of. Mine is currently at the dealers and they have stated that the 1st and 2nd gear syncros may need to be changed and possibly the flywheel. I'd go back to the dealer and tell them that it is a known problem and that you're not the first person to have this issue. Failing that, give Audi UK a bell. I totally agree, it is completely unacceptable for such an expensive car.

moptisam2
08-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I had a new flywheel and clutch after 7 months (about 5000 miles) !

With the previous A4 (B7) I had a whole new gearbox within about a year.

I've been driving for 34 years and have never had such problems with any other car (apart from an 07 BMW 320 (Yes, I've just put a pound in the swear box) I borrowed from a dealer.

Mattr
09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I have a 09 170 Avant S line, gear change was terible from new but has bedded in a bit. Now where as smooth as my previous A3. As this is a company car Ive battled on, but if I had layed out my hard earned cash it would of been back in with in days of recieving.

jakerade
12-03-2010, 06:52 PM
mines still notchy after 25000 miles. Audi Ipswich say this is normal as is the wind noise from the front windows and the creaking arm rest